Chapter 5

"There are two stages of training," Grayson said, his eyes towards his hands, playing with a knife in his hands. He pushed the tup of the knife against his index finger and spun the handle in his other hand. I wasn't worried he was going to cut his hand because he was a Dauntless member.

I stood with my hands interlocked in front of my body. I was putting my weight into my right leg, my hip popping out. It was uncomfortable just standing there, but I had to listen to our trainers.

"The first stage of training is physical," Grayson continued, his voice loud so the people in the back could hear him. "You will be put through an intense first five weeks, pushing your body to your limits."

Does that mean fitness testing? Like push ups and running? Or is there another component to physical assessments, like protection and using weapons?

"The second stage of training involves your mentality," Grayson started again, his knife still turning in his hands. "You will be put through a series of simulations, testing your mind, seeing if you have the mental capacity to become a member of Dauntless."

Four nodded and looked at the nine initiates. "At the end of each stage of training, you will be ranked. These ranking will determine who gets to choose their job first," he spoke, knowledgeable.

Eric walked up behind Four and stood slightly behind him. "The rankings will also determine who gets cut," he said, louder than Four anf Grayson have spoken.

I furrowed my eyebrows, turning to look at Tris. Tris looked at me and we exchanged and confused expression. I glanced at Grayson. He made eye contact with me and smiled apologetically, then tore his gaze from me and looked at the ground.

Something tells me that Grayson isn't as tough as he makes out to be. It could just be me, but he was very quiet. When he spoke, there was a certain type of reassurance to his voice. It always seemed to calm me, but I've only been here a day.

"Cut?" Christina asked, breaking the silence around us, and asking the question all of us were wondering. Sometimes it benefits to having a friend from Candor. Sometimes it also benefits to having friends at all.

"Those who don't pass initation will be asked to leave," Eric rephrased. I could see a flash of something behind his eyes. I saw that same thing yesterday as he was challenging me to jump off the building.

"Where will we go?" Al asked from the other side of the circle. I watched Al and Eric's interaction. Al tried to avoid eye contact, probably like the dog in the simulation.

Eric nodded, his lips pursed. "Well, since you can't stay here, and you can't go back to your families," he paused for effect, "you'll live Factionless."

Whispers came along the group. We weren't informed before joining Dauntless. But would I have chosen differently if I had known there's a chance I may become Factionless? In reality, I think it's a reason for me to work harder.

"It's part of the new rules here at Dauntless," Eric included, providing a snide smile.

"A new rule? Somebody should have told us that!" Christina exclaimed over the loud chatter of initiates.

"Why?" Eric interrupted her, taking a step forward beside Four. "Would you have chosen differently? What, out of fear you might not make it? 'Cause if that's the case, you should just get out now."

I shook my head and smirked slightly. This is the reason why I chose Dauntless. I was scared. But I wanted to use it to my advantage. Somehow. And I'll learn how here.

I raised my gaze from the floor to Four and Grayson. Did they know about the rule changes happening? Because their expressions tell me that they weren't aware some initiates could be cut.

I locked eyes on Grayson, wondering what he was thinking. He was staring at the ground, his eyebrows furrowed, thinking hard. I could practically see the gears turning in his head.

I moved my eyes to Four and watched his muscles tense in his shoulders. He stood up straighter, as if Eric was challenging him instead of us.

"I want to see everyone in the training room at 8:30. Training every day will run from 8 to 6," Four said, taking control again over his group of individuals. "Dismissed." He turned on his heel, probably releasing the tension in his shoulders.

Our group turned to each other to start discussing what we thought we were going to do today, but I turned my head to watch Grayson and Eric.

They made eye contact. I saw Grayson pull his shoulders back and raise his chin. "I've got it from here," he told Eric in a hushed voice only so they could hear. But lucky for me, I was actually listening.

Eric just stared at Grayson, then took a step forward so he was only a few inches from Grayson's face. "You take the orders from me, Nose," he said, using a nickname only used for Erudites. Grayson was an Erudite-born. "Not the other way around." Eric turned and started to walk past us.

I kept my eyes on Grayson. Once he left, I was going to go follow him and ask him a question about the rule changes. I turned back to my friends and smiled, interrupting their conversation. "I'm going to go get a head start on finding the training room," I said, then took off towards the same door Grayson exited from.

I walked quickly to the door and opened it with my right hand, swinging it open and running through it. I saw Grayson's black lined body turning right at the end of the hallway to my left. I ran after him, following his trail. Once I caught up to him, only a few steps behind him, I called this name. "Grayson."

He slowed to a stop and turned his whole body to look me up and down. "Cass, right?" He asked, pointing at me, "One of my initiates?"

I nodded, smiling ever so slightly at his voice. Who knew a voice could be so hot? "Yeah, uhm..." I stuttered, getting choked up. I saw him smirk a little and then it disappeared. "I just had a question."

Grayson nodded. "I know the feeling," he said, looking at the ground and sticking his hands in his pants pockets. "What's up?" His blue eyes rose to mine.

I had to think out my question before I said it. "Why are there new rule changes?" I asked bluntly, then though about how I sounded. "I mean, typically Dauntless leaders, or any leader, wouldn't change initation process like that. There has to be a reason."

Grayson shook his head, raising a hand and running his fingers through his hair, stopping at the back of his neck. I noticed the bulge coming from his bicep. It was probably as big as both my fists combined. He was very fit, but I'm sure that's just because of being Dauntless. You have to be in top shape.

"I honestly don't know," Grayson said, dropping his hand to his side. He looked around the hallway. No one was around us. "I agree with you. There has to be a reason. But I can't pick around in Eric's business, otherwise he'll know I know something. I'm sorry, but I don't have the answer."

I figured as much. "It's fine," I said, kicking at the ground with my boot. "I was just wondering. It just was odd." I felt Grayson's eyes on me, so I just stared at the ground and bit my lip.

"Can I ask a question?" Grayson asked, his voice bringing my eyes up to him, inhaling deeply, his chest rising.

I contemplated, then nodded. "Yeah, sure," I replied, crossing my arms. I'm an open book, but to look closed off, I crossed my arms. I awaited his question.

He raised his head a bit when he asked me his question. "Would you have chosen differently? If you had known about the rules?"

I felt like I wanted to tell him I'm divergent. Could I trust Grayson? I barely even knew him, but he's been making me feel like no other person has made me feel before. I couldn't let that uncomfortable feeling get in the way of telling him the truth and telling him a slight lie.

I thought of my answer. "No," I said to him, keeping my eyes trained on his. "I'm Dauntless. No matter what. These rule changes will only make me work harder for what I'm going to be."

He took a moment to respond, his eyes again, looking me up and down, then back to my brown eyes. "Good," he said with a smirk, making my stomach turn again. What's with me? He's a man. Just a man. "We'll see how you do." His lips turned back to the straight line they usually are and he turned to walk to the training room.

I won't be affected by any mind tricks. But is he playing, or is he being real?