13)

I hope your day went well

I hope your day went well. Have a good weekend sweetie.

Thanks mom. You too

We've been texting, mom and I, since Wednesday night. Hearing dad talk about how mom was so devoted to Coen and I, and as a result, he felt pushed aside, well it made me realize that I should ease up a little bit. She's doing her best, I guess.

I'm still upset that she sent me here, but if we can get back to good terms, I'll have a better chance of going home and it's not like I want things to be miserable when I do get back.

It's about five o'clock on Friday night when I head up to the living area in long PJ pants and a t-shirt. Some of the girls at school, including Florence and Arlette, were talking about going to the movies tonight, I wasn't invited.

Dad and I started watching Suits together on Wednesday night, after we'd finished 10 Things I Hate About You. It's mutual viewing ground, dad seems to appreciate the legal jargon and law cases and I enjoy watching Harvey Specter being the king of the court room. I look for dad so we can watch a few episodes and find him on the sofa, feet on the coffee table while he talks to his phone, which is on speaker.

Coen.

Dad's watching his latest YouTube upload on the television. I sit down next to him and we watch Coen act out a scene from The Notebook, the one where Noah Calhoun climbs the Ferris wheel and dangles, threatening to let go if Allie doesn't accept his date.

Coen is dressed in fifties era clothing and is dangling from a bar on the treehouse.

"Say it, say you want to go out with me," he grunts, genuinely appearing as if he's struggling to hold on. This could've been his seventeenth take for all we know.

He finishes the scene, adding in the vocals from the original scene for Allie's part. Dad presses pause on the television after watching with total interest, it's kind of nice.

"That was great, Coen," he says. "You're super talented, dude."

"Thanks, dad," I can hear the smile in my brother's voice. I'm not certain, but I think this is the first time they've done something like this.

"I don't like that scene," I say, and dad looks at me. "Not Coen's version. I mean the actual scene. It's gross and manipulative. He's literally threatening to kill himself if she doesn't go out with him. It disgusts me."

Dad's gaze wanders in thought.

"It's a classic romance scene, Luce," Coen says. "He knows that's his soul mate. His true love."

"You're thirteen," I say, leaning close to dad's phone. "You don't know shit about love."

"Well, was he wrong? They grew old together."

"Yes he was wrong, idiot. He could've proved he cared about her a million other ways. He's a toxic little fuck. And if you ever do anything like that, or even close to that manipulative, I'll beat the living shit out of you."