3. Mint and Sandalwood

Start from the beginning

"Yes, mea lux. Where have you been?" She knelt down beside him and ran her hand down his small back, holding the child close to her. 

"Outside! Thunder and I were tending the plants in the garden," Arell chuckled. 

"You're heading out already?" Thunder asked, sounding surprised because she had gotten ready to leave earlier than usual today. "Give me a minute to grab some stuff." 

"Thunder, rest today," she laughed. Straightening to stand, her hands dusted over her skirt to smooth of the wrinkles before saying, "I'll have Arell to bring me to the town clinic today. What do you say?" 

"Mother?" Arell asked, confused. 

"Eli, just wait for me," Thunder grumbled. 

"My big boy will do just fine, right?" she chuckled as she nudged gently on her son's shoulder. The child's reaction was instant as his hand shot out to clutch onto her hand and tugged on her arm excitedly with the other. 

"We'll be going!" he claimed enthusiastically with delight brightening his tone. 

"Alright!" Thunder laughed funnily. "You rascal." 

"Have a safe trip, Arell!" Jana followed in response. "Remember to buy the things on the list!" 

"I will!" Arell beamed and his happiness never failed to bring a smile to her face. Holding onto his small hand, they walked towards the town square and she realised that her son had been extra cautious today as he slowed down for her to make sure that she doesn't trip over anything along the way. 

━━━━━━━━━

Rivia: Ajayib, Town of Central Rivia, Town Clinic.

Arell

"Mother, we're here." Arell pushed opened the wooden door and carefully led his mother towards her seat.

Raising his head to face her, he saw her smiling lovingly at him as she bent forward and wrapped her hands around him. A soft warmth brimmed in his heart and he was comforted by the familiar scent of lilacs that placed him at ease. Her hand rubbed on his back as she said, "Arell, Mother had to work. You can go ahead to look around the town but please don't run too far off, alright?"

"Got it!" he chirped. "Arell will be back by noon!"

Just as he was about to run off, Mother stopped him as she laughed, "Wait, mea lux."

She turned his hand around to reveal his palm as she traced a symbol and whispered a string of words. His eyes widened in surprise when a small orb of darkness appeared and swirled in his hold. Mother explained, "Take this with you. If you're in danger, it can protect you and I'll be right there to find you."

"Do I keep it in my pocket?" he asked innocently, knowing that this is Mother's gift but she had never taught him anything about handling it.

His question brought out a laugh from her as she gently pushed his fingers close into a fist and the little fragment of darkness had disappeared altogether. A small warmth coursed through his body and the magic within him pulsed strongly as he felt the presence of Mother's gift within him. She mentioned, "It will be with you for now."

"Can I keep it?"

"No, you can't keep it for long." She quickly added but before he could even start feeling disappointed, she explained, "You cannot keep someone's gift like that. It would hurt you." 

"Arell understands it now," he nodded, though still slightly disappointed.

"Get going, mea lux. Have fun!"