7. What are the chances?

Izander

'Hi...' Oh crap. I turn around and have all my fears confirmed - Jax is here on my shift. What are the chances?

'Hello.' I respond.

'You look confused. Do you not like me being here?' He must think I hate him. This was just getting worse. I have to sort this out, now or never.

'No, you may have the wrong idea. Can we please talk after our shift? I feel I need to explain my actions, but in private.' There, hopefully that's enough for now.

'Ok. We can.' He walks away to the doors and I'm confused. So he isn't going to be on my shift? Relief washes over me, until I realise my maths must be off. Someone in the room is missing and shift starts properly in 2 minutes. Nobody is ever this late. Shit.

So he is on my shift, but who is he replacing? The technicians are at their station, as are the mechanics and the communications officer. Security was just in here making checks and I definitely have my pilot. The information officer? Nope, he is right behind me. So who am I missing? He can't possibly be the... nah. Surely n-

'Can I have attention.' Fuck. 'Thank you. I am Jaxenayo Celestia, the Captains new First Mate, and will be in charge of this ship on the night shift. You will be taking orders from me in place of the Captain. Now you may resume positions.' Double fuck. I. Was. Screwed.

Not 5 minutes in and I have to hear his voice again. 'Communications, contact Somers and tell him to report here asap.'

'Yes sir.'

His voice was like a constant reminder of how badly I had fucked myself. He was the First Mate - It was as bad as insulting the Captain himself! He wasn't going to stand for this behaviour from a crew mate.

'Somers sir.' Somers entered the deck.

'Thank you for coming. Now, can you tell me why this station is covered in crumbs? Because I am to believe a complete ban on any food or liquids on this deck. Logs indicate you were last here. NOW EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS!' Holy crap, that guy is in trouble.

'Sorry sir, I forgot sir.' Somers shrunk down.

'GO!' He scuttled off at an alarming pace.

'Communications, contact the Captain and report Somers for disobeying rules and endangering the operation of this ship.' Poor Somers. If this is what he is like over something like that then what we he be like concerning what I have done? Is he just waiting for my shift to end and for me to disappear before he can report me? Shit shit shit shit shit. Screwed I tell you.

I am on tenterhooks for the rest of my shift, worried that if I say one thing wrong or out of place, I will get a bigger rollicking than Somers, and I'll be reported straight to the Captain in front of everyone, including myself. What would offending the First Mate be classed as? Causing an unsafe working environment I think, although he could just site me for being hostile or offensive and let the Captain decide.

When did this get so complicated? There is me who looks all sweaty and nervous like a child being caught eating all the cookies, whilst Jax has the perfect poker face - you wouldn't even know he was planning on reporting me. I guess it helps that he is Secaro, they don't show much emotion and have to stay authoritative at all times (another reason I won't go unpunished).

Nearly 8 excruciating hours later, the next shift start to make there way in and slowly take over the ship. I should dash off quickly to avoid hearing myself get reported, but I had asked for a word and maybe he will still give it to me first. I walk right up to him and clear my throat. 'Jax, that word?'

'Oh yes, walk with me.' We walk out of the deck and down one of the corridors. 'So what seems to be the problem?'

'I don't know, that's just it! I hadn't meant to shout that, I am sorry. Here I go again running my mouth off to you and I don't mean any of it.' A few people look at me funny and I feel very exposed all of a sudden. 'Can we talk in my cabin, please?'

'Hmmm.' I must have royally screwed it, he is not going to say yes to that. 'Yes.' See! Oh, he said yes.

I walk us to my cabin and the doors haven't even closed properly before I open my mouth again. 'I am so sorry. Please don't report me. I haven't meant to be rude or offensive and I have no idea why things between us keep getting awkward. Can we start again? Maybe talk for a while till we are no longer having any trouble. I deserve a second chance, I had no idea who you were.'

He stares at me blankly, and I have no idea what he is thinking - damn that poker-face. 'Excuse me?'

'I am apologising.'

'Yes I know, but why? You have done nothing wrong. If anyone has, it would be me, running away at the bar and not saying goodbye properly when I met you again on the ship.'

'But... but... I spoke out of turn about you drinking, and you are new to speaking, and it looked like I hated you this morning. I don't by the way, I was just shocked to see you.'

'Then I give you apologies, I should have explained who I was.'

'So you are not going to report me?'

'For what? Coping with my bad human speech? Being extremely polite and understanding to a newcomer? You were very helpful and I thank you.' Relief washes over me in an instant.

'Oh. Well then I guess we are sorted. But...'

'Yes?'

'Then why does it feel so awkward still? If I didn't have a problem with you, and you didn't have a problem with me, why did we make up problems?'

'I don't know. I must say, I have failed to endure this sort of miss-communication with any other human. Perhaps we should do something until the awkwardness goes?'

'I felt pretty awkward when you grabbed my hand randomly to shake it after you had already walked away that time...'

'Ok then it is settled. I will hold you hand until it is no longer awkward.'

'No, I didn't mea-' it was already too late to finish my sentence, as his hand was locked around mine. 'Well, this is awkward.' We both burst out laughing. I have not seen a Secaro laugh before - he looks so relaxed and handsome.

'Isn't that the point?' he questions.

'Yes, but I didn't mean the hand holding was awkward at the time, I meant the way you said goodbye and left, then came back to finish your goodbye with the handshake. I was going to suggest we work on our goodbyes properly until you became more natural with it.'

'Ah. Maybe we should stop holding hands then.' Did I want to? The tingles were back but fading the longer I held his hand. Maybe I could get rid of the tingle I get when I shake his hand. But I can't possibly explain that I want to hold his hand because of that.

I think fast, 'I don't see why we should.' I blush but I don't think he notices. 'I mean, this is already getting less awkward don't you think. It seems to be working...'

'Hmmm.' Did he not agree? I go to pull my hand away but his is firmly locked on mine. This secretly pleases me but he probably means it in an innocent way. Secaro men don't like human men like that. He just wants all weird tensions to go away so he can do his job properly. 'I must be going now, sleep is needed.' He stands up letting go of my hand. 'I shall see you tomorrow Izan.' He grabs my hand once more to shake and it's no good - the tingles are back just as much.

The next thing I know, I kiss him.