1. The day I met him

Human

It was my first month on SST Gallanther and I have to say - it's not bad. When I was growing up, people seemed to be afraid of the airships like this one. The Secaro race do run them after all, like everything on Earth, and you don't want to be on the bad side of one of them.

But yes, it was not bad at all. The people on-board were polite and did their jobs well, gave you respect (no matter which race you were) and could even have a laugh and a joke every now and then. It wasn't quite as relaxed as you may imagine, but it was as near as possible to relaxed as it could be. It was, how would the old humans say it, er, like the military?

A lot of words and languages were lost after the Siege well before I was born, but what little information could be remembered was passed down the human line, father to son. Every now and then, you'd here words telepathically, and get visions of others thoughts and memories and pick up on a few more words that you didn't know existed.

If you are getting confused at this point, I should probably explain all I know and bring you up to speed on my current situation.

I am a human and it is 473af which I guess is like me saying the year 2012ad in the old life. AF is a nickname my people gave the years to remind us of what happened, and serve as a bit of a dig towards those that rule us. It means 'after fatalities' which is suggesting exactly what you think. Many of my people died at the time of the Siege, and it was something nobody could have predicted.

It was a good time for my people when everything happened. They had created cool (if not outdated) technologies that provided medicine, entertainment, research and so much more to the world. But with every good comes bad as weapons were created (something that did not help the growing number of fatalities during the Siege).

Not so long after the birth of technology to my people, around a few hundred years, the Secaro came to our planet. They had the promise of newer and better things, quickly making everything we had created redundant. It was a whole new experience to us and we welcomed them with open arms. They gave us bigger and better, opening our eyes to a new world. Then they turned and war broke out. They had been with us for 40 years or so when this happened - and they were the ones to start it.

We don't really have a reason why or how this came about - I can only guess we did something to really piss them off. Either that or they have a God complex. None of our people believe in a God or anything, but it is one of those sayings that stuck from generation to generation and is a common term for someone who think they are great and want everyone to bow down to them.

The reason we don't out-rightly agree that they have this complex is because there is no one man in charge of them commanding this situation, and also the way they go on about their home planet is like a child talking about its mother. I can't understand why they would want this planet when there is nothing wrong with theirs - in fact, their planet seems pretty perfect as far as planets go and there is no impending doom on it which would need them to relocate.

Now, they had built our planet up to something amazing in those 40 years, turned and war broke out. I don't think they wanted it to last very long as they clearly had the advantage, but the humans were determined and kept it going. If I may say so, I actually blame us for the amount of people that died during the war. We were clearly never going to win and the Secaro only attacked when absolutely necessary - but us humans just kept going till our weapons no longer worked and were all used up. Only then did we give up and surrender.

After they won, our planet became very regimented and under strict control by them. We would be given specific jobs to do that they chose, and we had to do them or else. Nobody dared to defy them so I have no idea what happened when you did. We all just did what was necessary to survive. In fact, it wasn't all that awful, and people liked their life. I would imagine if we weren't under control, we would keep things running the way they were as things did get done and when we were in private, we had fun.