Chapter 28: Goodbyes

On the ride home, Rebecca and Jordan were both quiet. Normally, after a news like this, they would have been buzzing with happiness, but because of what happened the night before, they were thrown into a bittersweet spot.

Jordan drove with extra care and held Rebecca's hand as they climbed a few stairs to get inside their apartment building. He seemed to have come to terms with their new reality. But she couldn't wrap her head around it. 

They were going to be parents.

She was carrying Jordan's child. 

Taking in a deep breath, she plopped on the couch and stared down at her stomach.

"You want some water?" Jordan asked, grabbing a glass for himself.

"No..uh yes." She didn't want water, but she should probably make an extra effort to stay hydrated, right?

"So...I guess this adds a new twist to our current situation, doesn't it?" she laughed nervously.

"It sure does," he said, handing her a glass and sitting down on an adjacent arm chair. "Wow...this is a big news. I mean, I always wanted to be a father, but I didn't expect it now. Not that there's anything wrong with now...I'm just saying."

Rebecca nodded. "I know what you mean. I wasn't expecting to expect now either," she laughed at her little joke, making him chuckle. Then, the smile on her face faded, replaced by a faraway look. "Now what?"

"Now..." he trailed off, looking thoughtful. "You tell me if you want a life with me. I am still in love with you, nothing can change that. But we don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"I think I want the baby. This is our first child, I cannot...not want it. It makes sense to stay together because then, baby will have a family."

"Makes sense?" he scoffed then took her hands in his. "Don't do this because it makes sense. We can be parents to the baby while leading separate lives, it can work. What doesn't make sense is to be in a loveless marriage. So, do you love me? Enough to have a life together?"

Rebecca looked into his eyes and found the sincerity that his words held. He really was leaving the ball in her court. "I do...I do love you. But...are you no longer upset about what happened last night?"

"No, I am still upset. But, the baby is bigger than how I feel. It's another human life. Decisions about the baby are not going to be based on that kiss. As long as you tell me it was unintentional, I can live with it. But just that once," he added.

She agreed immediately and truthfully.. "I didn't  intend to kiss Noah last night."

"OK. Just...don't go breaking my heart again, Becca. It really hurts," he laughed sadly.

Her face crumpled, mirroring his pain, "I am so sorry. I am not this person. I want us to be happy and be able to trust each other. I am sorry I gave you a reason to not trust me. But I promise that won't ever happen again."

He wiped a tear from her cheek and cupped her face, "I trust you." Kissing her forehead, he let go and stood up. "I'm going to get started on lunch. You want to eat something in particular?"

She shook her head and said 'no' before getting up to help him prepare lunch.

In the evening, she went to her parent's place to assure them that her foot was fine and also break the news that she was pregnant. As expected, her mother screamed so loud, her ears popped while her father rolled his eyes and gave Rebecca a tight hug.

"So happy for you both," he said, smiling.

"Seriously," her mother said. "This is the best news I have ever received!"