thirty nine

Did It Work

I quietly came closer to the door that led to the hallway. I couldn't heard the lady from the elevator or any security guards running around so I took a deep breath and opened the door.

As soon as I turned left to exit the bunker, a famous British voice spoke up behind me.

"What were you doing in my office?" Agent Carter immediately asked.

I froze for a second before turning around "I'm so sorry, Agent Carter, I'm new here. I'm Captain Johnson." I said and stretched out my arm with a smile.

"Nice to meet you Captain Johnson." she said as she shook my hand "But you didn't answer my question."

"Right." I nodded "Um, I just wanted to meet you, really, there's nothing more behind it. I just wanted to say how thankful I am for what you've done for the women in this industry and that you've been such an inspiration to me. I actually can't believe I'm talking to you." I chuckled "So when I knocked on your door and nobody answered I just checked if the door was unlocked, because if it was, and it was, and you weren't inside that would mean anybody could enter and...yeah, I don't know. I'm sorry." I rambled with such grace.

Peggy smiled and nodded while I talked, but decided to cut my speech short "It's okay, I'm glad we met." she said "I hope I'll see you again?"

"Yeah, I hope so to." I nodded "Although, I am getting transferred soon... But, yeah, goodbye." I smiled to her and turned around again to get out of the bunker.

I walked out of the elevator to see Tony talking to...his dad. I looked at him, waiting for a status report. He soon noticed me and pointed to the suitcase in his hand. We got the Tesseract.

He said goodbye to Howard and walked over to me.

"Got them?" he asked as he continued to walk forward and behind the buildings.

"Affirmative." I answered "Also bumped into Peggy Carter."

"Did you?" he asked, visibly amused "Did she tell you any tips? On Steve, I mean."

I furrowed my brows at him "Jesus, Tony. No." I sighed "But I also think she didn't buy the story I told her so we better hurry."

I handed him a Pym Particle and took one for myself. We synced our watch things and soon we went quantum.

In a second we were back at the HQ, on the Quantum platform. Everyone was looking around to see that we did, indeed, recover all the stones.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked.

"You telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked in disbelief.

I smiled. I was truly happy. We did it. Everybody was smiling, looking around. Until everybody noticed an empty spot on the platform.

"No." I breathed out. My eyes started to fill up with tears. My breathing became shallow.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce hesitantly asked.

The silence from Clint told us everything. She was gone. Natasha died to complete the mission.

You could feel the sadness in the air. How it pressed down on us all. The silence was piercing. I don't have the words to describe it. Then, I think, slowly realization hit some of us. Bruce fell on his knees and pounded the floor in sadness, anger. I turned to Tony. He looked over to me and pulled me in a hug.

"Shh." he tapped my back "It's alright. Don't hold it in."

...

Everyone basically went their own way after that. The atmosphere was the same as after the battle in Wakanda. But this time I didn't have Nat to talk to.