twenty five

All Of It Matters

The place was quite a mess after everyone got ready. Nobody really knew what to do or how to prepare for the upcoming fight.

Steve soon came downstairs to the loving area where everybody else was. Everybody went quiet. All eyes were immediately on him.

"So, Cap, what now?" Bucky asked.

"We gear up." Steve said as the rest of us quietly stood around the room "We gear up and wait."

"We already did that." Natasha commented "What now? Is there anything else we know?"

"There's nothing else, no." Steve sighed in disappointment "All we can really do is prepare for all possible outcomes."

"That's enaugh of talking." Tony said as he walked down the stairs "They could be here any minute. Or tomorrow. Or in a month. So be prepared to fight." he said and everyone went on with their business, waiting for the big red alert.

Tony, Steve and I just kind of stood there, waiting for everybody to leave. Soon Tony did too.

"You okay?" Steve asked me as soon as Tony walked out.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled at him as he stepped closer to me "You?"

"I'm fine too." he said and gently kissed my lips "Now I'm great." he smiled.

I chuckled at his corny comment. He occasionaly stole some quick kisses from me here and there, saying he will properly ask me out once all of this is over, I just had to say yes when he did.

"Come, there is something I want to show you." he said and took my hand in his.

He led me to his room where I sat on his bed as he looked for that something.

Finally, he found what he was looking for and sat next to me.

"Look." he said, showing me a round metal object in his hand.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's a compass." he smiled and opened it.

"A compass?" I rised my eyebrows at him "What do you need a compass for?"

He chuckled "It has sentimental value. Please, take a look."

I nodded and gently took it from his hands. It was very old and rusty, but still beautiful. It had deatiled carvings at the front which were ruined by time, but still had a unique design. The inside part of the top was well preserved, almost like it was protected by something on it. It was almost shiny, barely touched by time. Then I remembered.

"Was a picture of Peggy Carter here?" I aksed Steve carefully, pointing at the inside of the compass.

"Yes, it was." he nodded. I could see in his eyes that he missed her.

"Why take it out?" I asked.

"She moved on, so should I." he looked me in the eyes and smiled "I want you to have it. To remind you that I'll be there wherever you go."

"Steve, that's beautiful but I can't..."

"Don't, please." he smiled "I insist. If... you don't mind that it was for another woman before..." he said looking down.

I smiled at him and looked down at the compass. It truly was a beautiful gesture. "Thank you." I said and kissed him on the cheek.

And he just sat there, smiling.

Red alert. All personel required at the main enterance. Red alert...

Steve looked at me "Lets go." he said and took my hand.

I safely put the compass in a pocket on my vest while we were running towards the main enterance.

"T'challa?" Steve shouted over the alert.

T'challa started running in our direction and then back with us "They are firing at the shiled. We don't know how long until they get in."

"Is everybody here?" Steve asked as soon as we got to the door.

"Everyone who should be." Natasha responded "Tony and Clint are in New York with Strange. They actually just left."

"And Wanda is with Vision and Shuri upstairs, still trying to figure that gem out." Rhodey added.

"Okay, lets go outside. Front lines are all ours." Steve said and walked out, determined for a good outcome.

Bucky bumped in me as we were walking out. "How was it?" he smirked.

"How was what?" I furrowed my brows.

"I saw you entering Steve's room." he said, very confidently.

"First of all, do we really need to talk about that now?" I asked him, I couldn't believe he was being serious "Second, nothing happened. And third, do you guys really share, like, everything?"

He opened his mouth to speak, but we already came to our destination. We were in front of an army of actual warriors. Some of them were even riding rhinos. How cool is that?

"Okay, listen up" Steve spoke to us "I'm going to go down to the barrier to see if we can nagotiate. If not, T'challa gives the battle call. Then we fight and we fight to kill. Understood?"

Everyone nodded and spread out on the front lines. Bucky, Nat and I still stood by Steve.

"What are you waiting for? Go to your positions." Steve said.

I glanced over to the other two "We are coming with you."

"You are not going alone, pal." Bucky said.

Steve smiled and sighed "Fine, cmon."

As we walked down the plains of Wakanda that were about to becaome a battlefield, I realised this was the first time I was fighting for a good cause after a long time. And it felt good.

...

The negotiations didn't go well and we were soon marching back to our army.

Steve nodded to T'challa. I looked around myself. All my friends were ready to lay down their lives for a bigger cause. And I was with them, on their side. It really felt like family.

The big ships they used to get to Earth started opening and big ugly fourlegged animals were running towards the barrier.

Everyone was looking in disbelief. There were milions of those weird creatures trying to get through the barrier.

Steve nodded to T'Challa. We were ready for the battle.

After chanting and a really loud 'Wakanda forever', everything was like in slow motion.

The barrier between us and them lifted and everyone was running, ready to fight.