Blast of the Past

Hey guys! I know I've been gone forever. I don't really have a reason why...well at least not a good one. Mostly I've been busy and lazy. I had a bit of writer's block too. But those aren't excuses. Anyways this is sort of a back story...I'm thinking of making it the first chapter....we'll see. Welp I hope you enjoy.

Hi my name is Amethyst Ariba and I'm an assassin. My first job was a few years ago and I was terrified to take another life but with the help of my closest friend Melody I was able to do it. Our job was to protect a girl named, AJ around our age. We were to insure that no harm came to her. There was this guy that was trying to kill her. So Melody and I were given the job to kill him. Our families always worked hand-in-hand so it was no surprise to me that they made us do the job together. We decided to use AJ as bait.
We made it look like she was home alone when really Melody and I were inside waiting for the guy to come. We knew he was scoping her house that day. We were sure that he was watching all night in which case he'd know that we were inside the house. So we walked out of the front door saying our goodbyes to AJ and walked down the block. There were these trees with really low hanging branches and lots of leaves that blocked the sidewalk a few feet from where he was stationed. So when we reached the branches we cut through the backyards of the other houses until we got to AJ's. We moved quickly and quietly knowing that time was of the essence. Once inside we made our way to AJ's room where she lay on the bed reading a book. We winked at her before hiding in the closet.
We were waiting for what seemed like hours but were probably only minutes. Then we heard a clicking sound from somewhere else in the house. I turned and looked at Melody. She had her knife out and I decided to get mine out as well. We stood there looking through the cracks of the closet doors waiting for the man to enter the room. Then we saw someone dressed in black creep into the room. He stood over AJ's bed not making a sound just staring at her with lusty eyes. Creep. Mel looked to me and put one hand on the door and the other she used to count down from three. One. The man pounced on AJ. Two. Her surprised shriek filled the room. Three. Mel opened the closet door and crept behind the man who was too preoccupied with trying to pin AJ, who was putting up quite a fight, to the bed to notice. Mel slashed her knife across the man's back and he shot up glaring at her with hate filled eyes.
"I thought you left, you stupid brat" he got off of AJ and stalked towards Mel. As she backed into the wall I crept out the closet and jumped on the man's back. I was just about to slit his throat with my knife when he rammed me into a wall. My grip on him loosened and I fell to the ground. He turned around to face me and wrapped his huge man hands around my fragile neck squeezing hard. I couldn't breathe and was beginning to see spots when suddenly he stopped and turned around. I sat for a few seconds trying to catch my breath before looking up to see AJ and Mel fighting this huge guy. AJ kicked the guy in the nuts and he fell over. He was about to get up when Mel kicked him in the ribs. Then she stood on him trying to keep him down but he was much stronger than her and was about to throw her off.
"Do it now Amethyst!" she yelled as she toppled to the ground. I wanted to move but I couldn't. I just stood there watching my friends fight this monster of a man. He tossed AJ at a wall and began to make his way over to her. Something in me must've snapped because when I heard her yelp in pain as her body came into contact with the hard wall and then the floor, I snapped. Something inside me was awakened and I wanted nothing more than to slit that man's throat.
As he walked towards AJ, I walked towards him. When he stuck his foot out to kick her, I stabbed him in the back of the leg. He turned around with an untamed fury in his eyes. He tried to punch me in the face but I dodge it. He growled and tried to punch me in the ribs but I dodged that too. I swiped my knife across his abdomen and then the side of his arm. He gave an angered grunt before kicking at my legs causing me to fall. However I took that chance to slide in between his open legs and emerge behind him giving him a quick jab to the money makers as I did. He doubled over for a second giving me enough time to stand and kick at his legs.
He fell to the ground with a dull thud. He lay on his stomach about to get up when I stabbed him in the back. He still tried to move so I stabbed him again. He grunted in pain but didn't move again. I turned him over onto his back and looked into his tired eyes that shined with hatred. I glanced over at Melody who was watching captivated as I leaned over him.
"Do I kill him?" I asked in a small voice. I knew that he was just trying to kill me but he was still a human being. He could've had kids, friends, people who loved and cared for him dearly. By ending his life, I would be changing many people's lives forever and it might've not been for the better.
"Well Ari, I think you already did. Even if you didn't finish the job right now, he'd eventually die" Mel answered gently.
"B...but" I started and then thought for a second "You're right". I turned back towards him, took my knife, and plunged it into his throat. I didn't hesitate and I didn't feel remorse. All I felt was fascination. I was fascinated by how simply a life could be taken away, how fast someone makes the transition from alive to dead, but most importantly I was fascinated with the eyes. You know what they say: "The eyes are the gateway to the soul". Well when I stared into that man's eyes as he died, I felt as if I could see his soul leave his body, and the feeling was invigorating. So from then on I developed a sort of blood-lust.
You know how people have hobbies-things that they do to relieve stress? Well killing is my hobby. I crave it and although I feel like a monster sometimes, I kill without shame.
That day I became an assassin. That day I decided who I was and what I stood for. I decided to respect the life of all living creatures. That day I became Amethyst Ariba.