What You Could've Done

"You heard me," Maki said flatly. "What's the deal? Are you sleeping together or what?"

"Uh," Shuichi said, looking at the other, then back at her, still stunned by the question, "no?"

"Then why is he here?" She continued questioning. "If it had been anyone else you'd have brushed them off and just told them not to tell anyone they'd seen anything."

"I- It's just- I'm allowed to have other friends, okay? Just mind your own business."

"Whatever," she sighed, shrugging it off, not really caring all that much about it anymore.

It's true that he wasn't repulsed by the idea, but he couldn't really say that without sounding like a total creep. Besides, having barely met him, it wasn't likely  that it'd ever happen anyways, so he figured it was best to keep it to himself. So he just quietly fidgeted with the hem of his jacket while the others talked about random things for a while.

Eventually though, Kokichi got a text from someone and read it while the others continued talking, realizing he had messed up again.

Where are you?
You're late.

"What is it?" Shuichi asked quietly, noticing the worried expression he wore.

"I- It's nothing," he said unconvincingly. "Uh, I have to go."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry," he replied, getting to his feet and hurriedly walked off, careful not to fall off the tree as he went. And without thinking, Shuichi quickly followed.

"Hey, where are you going?" Kaede asked him before he was too far, but he just ignored her and left without a word.

They finally got back to the bridge and by then Shuichi could see that he was visibly stressing about whatever it was.

"Ouma, what's wrong?"

"It's just- nevermind. How do you get back up?"

"There's an area we cleared right over there. It's pretty steep so you can't go down, but if you're careful you can go up. So can you tell me what's going on?"

"I need to be somewhere and I forgot about it and- shit. I'm late."

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. Alright. I'll take you back and explain everything. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

"You would do that?"

"Of course," he smiled. "Now come on, let's go."

. . .

The way he'd talked about it, the taller figured his parents were going to be there, but once they got back to the school the only person waiting there seemed about their age, and he was clearly irritated. When Kokichi saw him though, he ran up and hugged him happily.

"I missed you. I'm sorry for being late. It won't happen again. I promi-"

"What's all over you?" He said, pushing him away and cleaning off his own shirt.

"It's just a little dirt, I fell on my way here. I'm sorry."

"Who the hell is that?"

"Oh, uh, that's Saihara. I was with him and his friends. But I'm okay. I didn't get hur-"

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" he asked turning away from him and walking towards Shuichi.

"I'm Shuichi Saihara," he repeated. "Sorry about that, I didn't know he had to be back here by a certain time. That's my fault."

"Yeah, it is," he said stopping in front of him.

"That's what I sai-" but he didn't get to finish before he was punched in the mouth and fell back. Kokichi flinched harshly behind him but seemed like he too was afraid to move.

"S- Saihara, are y- you oka-"

"Shut up," the other male growled at him.

"Leave him alone. He didn't do anything," Shuichi yelled at him, getting back to his feet. He was about to hit the other back, but before he could Kokichi stepped between them.

"Saihara, p- please," he whimpered, tears filling his eyes. "Don't do it. P- please, don't hurt him."

He just stood there for a moment, thinking it over breifly. Then, with one regretful sigh, he turned away and left.

. . .

Rather than head back to meet up with the others again, Shuichi just went home after he'd gone. And when he got there his uncle was busy with work, as per usual, so he didn't notice he was home late.

He didn't really care though. He just grabbed a drink from the kitchen and went down the hall to his room, neither one saying a word.

Just from looking at his room, it was obvious he had an obsession of sorts. Practically everything he owned was somehow related to the popular show. They called it Danganronpa and that's all he would talk about some times.

But right then, it was the last thing on his mind as he paced the room.

Eventhough it occupied so much of his time and thoughts, all he could think of then was Kokichi. He was worried for him.

Whoever it was he had gone with clearly treated him poorly and he saw this, but he couldn't shake the thought that he hadn't done anything about it. He could've. But he didn't.

Why not? That was the main thing on his mind. That one question. Why hadn't he done anything?

"Why did he stop me?" He whispered to himself leaning his head against the wall. Then, without thinking, he slammed his fist into it, leaving a shallow indentation.

And with that he sat down on the edge on his bed, threw his hat across the room angrily, and buried his head in his hands.

"Stupid," he said quietly, running his hands through his hair. "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

He did this for a bit before finally falling onto his back and looking up, before finally closing his eyes. He didn't even care that the small traces of blood from his hand was now staining the covers or that he'd left his friends all back at the bridge or that his uncle would probably yell at him if he ever found out about what had happened to the wall or any of it. He just didn't care.

Why should he anyways?