Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I couldn't avoid her forever, she was family after all, and I knew I was being more than selfish cutting her off after what happened with Nate, but I still wasn't over everything that happened in my childhood. I knew it was all in the past but sometimes it was hard to let those things that happened to me stay buried the way she wanted them to...

"So, where are you taking me?"

He slid on his reflective sunglasses to ward off the bright setting sun and rested his hand on the gear shift, the tan of his skin almost matching mine.

If I tried to tan in the summer I could look at least three shades darker but with the seasons flipping back and forth from Spring to back into Winter at the drop of a hat I didn't see a need for tanning so early in the year.

I was technically considered biracial, with my mother full blooded Native American and my father being white, but I was always asked constantly where I was from and what I was.

My mother's culture was a huge part of our lives, and I always had to fend off my dad's side of the family when they called her too superstitious and that her traditions were outdated.

I was starting to miss the smell of sage burning in the house and attending pow wows with the family.

"We are going to my favorite restaurant. I hope you enjoy milkshakes."

I turned to him in confusion.

"Milkshakes?"

The corners of his mouth turned up in a rueful smile and I didn't think I could be more attracted to him in that moment.

"I thought a five star restaurant might be a little too much for a first date..."

"Good call."

The silence surrounded us in a comfortable stretch but there was something nagging me that I couldn't let go of.

We finally pulled up to a quaint diner with a pink exterior and personalized embellishments.

It was also a major plus that I'd never been to said establishment with a certain ex of mine that I never wanted to have to see again.

Rafael came to my side of the car to open my door for me before I could get out myself and offered me his hand.

I wasn't expecting the chivalry considering it was pretty much dead in modern times but it was a nice change to the relationship I'd just left.

I hooked my arm through his and allowed him to escort me inside, feeling strange and out of place considering it still felt like I was still trapped in a loveless engagement with someone who hated being seen out with me, and looking back I realized it was because he took her everywhere instead of me, leaving me back at home working to pay for everything that he was spending.

Soon we were seated and it was all I could do to keep the question from bursting out of my mouth. He ordered for the both of sand then it was finally my chance.

"So...how do you know Emmett?"

Him?  It had to be him, of all the people in Texas, let alone the rest of the world!  And she had to be going on a date with one of the worst people I'd ever met in my entire life

Him? It had to be him, of all the people in Texas, let alone the rest of the world! And she had to be going on a date with one of the worst people I'd ever met in my entire life.

I had to warn her that Rafael was bad news, and definitely not dating material for a girl like her...a girl that was all light and pure, someone who had been through enough in her life that she didn't need to add one more shitty thing to the list of shit that she'd been dealt in her life.

I was probably one of those things too, which was why I'd stayed away for so long and pushed myself away from her as best as I could. Even I knew I wasn't good enough for her, and I hadn't done half the terrible shit that Rafael had done in the short amount of time that I'd known him.

He was worse than bad news, he was pretty much the devil reincarnate. And I was going to show her proof of just that.

I scoured my phone to see if I still had the proof on there somewhere, but of course I'd deleted everything when I switched phones a few months prior.

I'd need something better, some more hard proof.

I suddenly found myself thinking of doing something that I never thought in a million years I'd be doing, but if it was for Lydia and to help her see what a monster that guy was then it would be worth it. I just hoped they hadn't gone too far yet...

Rafael wasn't one to wait, that much was for sure. I shuddered at the memories of what I'd witnessed him do, the slimy, disgusting scene crawling through my head at a sickeningly slow pace and I found myself wanting to throw up right then and there but I still found myself dialing the number, praying that the woman I despised almost as much as Rafael would pick up.

What was it that they always said, 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend'?

"Hello?"

"Marnie, it's Emmett. Don't hang up. Listen, I need a favor...and you're probably not gonna like it."