Butterflies

I stood up and followed felix to a table, he paused for a moment and looked like he was about to say something, but quickly shut himself up and sat down. I sighed and sat across from him, flicking at a few crumbs that were on the table, slowly an idea bloomed into my mind.
"Hey felix?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you think you can try to escape again?" I asked curiously. Surely he still had knowledge of how to get out. And he wouldn't be working alone this time! His shoulders tightened and he sushed me fast.
"N-no!" Felix's eyes darted around to make sure that no guards or other subjects were listening. "Krista I told you that I couldn't try again! I'm already playing with fire." He gulps and sighs, letting his shoulders sag. "I can't risk that again....." Felix looked at me pleadingly. "And I don't want you to get hurt"

I gently grabbed his wrists "think about it! If we could escape we could tell authorities about this place! Felix we could save everyone!" I looked at him, hope filling my eyes. He sighed and furrowed his brow. He was obviously very very apprehensive about this. "But what if we get caught?" I frowned and shook my head as he spoke.

"Felix if we die then we are put out of our misery." It's not like I had much to lose, but I would much rather die trying to escape then die at the hands of Vlad. Or worse, Mark. Felix sighed and rubbed his face, he looked incredibly tired, more tired than I've ever seen him.

"L-let me think about it ok?" he said almost pleadingly. I nodded and rest my head in the palm of my hand, daydreams of escape running though my mind. The thought of seeing my family again, feeling the sun on my face, and even just smelling fresh air sounded like bliss.

I don't know how long Felix and I sat there in silence, but apparently it was long enough to garner weird looks from the guards. Felix stood up and sighed softly, holding an outstretched hand to me.

"come on, lets get you back to Vlad" I rolled my eyes and took his hand. he hoisted me up and raised an eyebrow at me. "Surely you aren't complaining. Vlad is one of the best tempered patrons here."

"yeah I know that, but its not very fun knowing that he is responsible for 20 past subject's deaths, and then some" I said sharply. That fact still haunted me. Felix gulped and inhaled sharply, obviously flustered. We walked out of the rec-room, Felix still holding my hand. "And you haven't seen him get angry. It's a shit-show" I cringed at the memory of Vlad pinning me against the wall after he called the guards on me. Felix sighed and nodded, staring at the ground.

"Y-you're right, I'm sorry for assuming" He frowned as he kept his eyes down. I shook my head and squeezed his hand a little.

"Don't sweat it" He nodded and stopped at Vlad's lab. I frowned and looked at the plate beside the door that read 421, lab of Dr. Vlad Kerschiev. My jaw tightened, I don't even know how long its been since I arrived here, it seemed like years. My thoughts were interrupted by Felix squeezing my hand. I blinked a few times before looking over at him, a bit startled. He smiled softly at me.

"I'll be back tomorrow, at noon" he held my hand for a few moments longer before letting go. "We can go back to the rec-room if you'd like" I nodded and smiled a bit, noticing how cold my hand felt once he let go.

"alright, see ya then" I waved as I opened up the door to the office and slipped inside. I looked down at the hand he held and smiled softly as I leaned against the door. Why did I feel like this? all he did was hold my hand, but my cheeks felt warm and my stomach had butterflies. I shook my head, trying to push that feeling away before walking back to my sad excuse for a room.

"Liebling!!" Vlad shrill voice rang though the lab, making me cringe. "come here!!" I rolled my eyes and made my way to his office. I rolled my eyes and poked my head into his office.

"What?" I spat out, annoyance dripping from my words. Was being sassy with Vlad smart? Nope. Was it what I was about to do? Yep. Vlad chuckled and rose from his desk, a grin spreading on his face.

"Vhat iz vith ze attitude? I juzt vanted to zay hi." He strode over and put a hand on my shoulder, a small smirk forming. "and zee how zour date vith felix vent." I felt a blush form on my cheek as I pulled away roughly, only to have Vlad grab my shoulders from behind and start marching me down the hallway,

"H-Hey!! It wasn't a date!!" I borderline yelled. Vlad laughed loudly and sat me down in the lab and started taking vitals.

"Are zou zure about zat? you're making it sound like it iz" He chuckled and began to inject me with daily syringes. All the injections were making my arm hurt, which I wasn't a fan of.

"Yes I'm sure, and for your information it was average" I rolled my eyes and looked away from him. Vlad chuckled and began to inspect my joints, which was odd. "What are you d-" He cut me off.

"have zou been feeling ztiff lately?" He held his pen as he awaited my response. I nodded slowly and frowned.

"I mean I guess. Is that from the injections?" I asked curiously, panic began to fill my chest. I guess I hadn't really thought about it before, but I had no idea what the injections were for, or what Vlad was experimenting. "what are you doing anyway?" Vlad shook his head patronizingly.

"Krista, zou know I can't tell zou that" He frowned at me and sighed. "Mark von't allow it" I cringed, if mark had anything to do with it I knew it wasn't good. Vlad stood up and began to walk out. I chewed on my lip as I watched him. I knew I had to find out what Vlad was doing to me before I did anything.

A.N,

Hey guys! I just wanted to say thank you for all of your support and patience while i moved and got settled. You guys are the absolute best! updates will be going back to normal next month. And please remember that my DMs don't work here, so if you need to reach me use                                                               @ spicy_matcha or Instagram or buggy #0778 on Discord.

and to answer some questions, Vlad is about 46 years old.