Chapter 11

Hati followed the strange female— strange in the sense she looked so, so close to going feral, yet had this air of cold, fiery restraint about her. Hati liked her already, liked her way of interacting with the world, even though the Alpha looked just a little too pleased with her power. The male, too, she appreciated, even just for the way he treated females— with respect and understanding. Not as though she were half-crazed, as though she were nothing more than dirt beneath his shoes. Yes— that was a fundamentally good male.

And then the female was pulled out of her thoughts by the scent hitting her full-force. Sunny afternoons and bright smiles and cold winters and quiet moons slammed into her every cell, filling them up with wanting. She didn't think, didn't dare let herself imagine what she would do if she were wrong, pushing past the Alpha who growled slightly. Into the room she barged, eyes barely catching sight of the weak figure of a male before she was pouncing on him.

And then her nose was in his neck, greedily drinking in his smell, and her hands were everywhere all at once, touching, feeling because was he really there? Was he just another figment of her imagination? Her fingers traced the raised lines of scars and her wild snarled with barely contained rage. Oh yes, they would suffer, those who had dared to lay a hand on her mate and soulmate. She would enjoy listening to their pleas as she sank her teeth into their flesh, as silver whips bit into their bones—

Two hands suddenly ripped her away from Skoll, yelling a sentence she did not bother to listen to. He was just there, just out of reach as she desperately thrashed against the female restraining her.

"Enough, Hati!" she heard the Alpha growl at her, the sound reverberated in her chest.

Hati growled right back, turning around to face the golden-skinned female, the fine hair at the back of her neck raised in agression. The male—Fenris his name was—'s whole expression morphed suddenly, the gentle, yet hard look shifting into a mask of cold, cold rage as he snarled low in his throat. If the female were fire, eyes wild at the provocation, he was ice, and ready to defend was what his, should she need help.

Behind them, Skoll was silent, still sleeping through the loud commotion.

"Let me hug him," Hati ordered, her silver irises akin to two shards of ice.

The Alpha lifted her lips, exposing the sharpening canines.

"No," she said. "He is under my protection, and I will do what I need to stop any physical and mental harm to befall him. You jumping on him like that was irrational—" Fenris snorted at that, muttering something that sounded very much like 'hypocrite' beneath his breath "—and could have hurt him further. Until you can control yourself, you will not be left alone with him."

"You are not allowed. He is my soulmate."

The Alpha didn't blink, didn't show a sign of emotion on that regal face.

"My wild may consider you friend, and I may trust her, Hati, but do not forget who is Alpha here."

Hati held her mouth shut, though every muscle in her body was aching to pounce at the Alpha, show them just what they were capable of. But the female was right— that, and she most likely hadn't won her place by looking pretty. Hati did not want to see what monsters lay beneath the regal disposition of the Alpha. Finally, she relaxed, sighing.

She did not bow her head.

"Let us wait until he wakes up, shall we?" she said.

Cassandra inclined her head.

"Yes, we shall. In the meanwhile, come have a cup of got chocolate with me. It is awfully cold in this area of Ulfur," she said, already turning around, her long, curly hair slashing through the air behind her.

     Fenris grinned, a chuckle on his lips.

"I beg to differ, Little Wolf. Your body is just used to the heat."

•••

     It was sometime later, while they were lounging in one of the numerous living room, a soft breeze ruffling the red curtains, that a nurse came shuffling in, head held down by the amount of power in the room.

"The patient is awake," was all she said.

     Immediately, Hati jumped up, ready to race there, but a warning look from Cassandra stopped her.

"I've never behaved like a lady," she said, standing up so gracefully it was like she were proving the opposite of her statement on purpose. "Have you?"

     Hati's quicksilver eyes narrowed.

"No, I can't say I ever have."

"Good. Another common point, then."

     And that was that, the Alpha swooping away in a gust of crackling wildfire and rose bushes, her long red, silky skirt trailing behind her like a train of blood.

     Hati looked at Fenris, who only gave a chuckle before following after his soulmate. She stepped after them, nervousness yet impatience settling into her bones. How would Skoll react? Did he even remember her? Had his mind been so damaged, as Fenris had hinted, that he'd forgotten of his soulmate? As she walked over the threshold, Hati hoped it wasn't true.

     Inside, the familiar, soothing voice caught her ear, singing to it as it had so many times before. The female was transported back to late night near the fire, days spent walking or just lazing around, or even fucking each other senseless. She longed to be wrapped in the sweet tones once more, have the gentle melody of the words hold her hand into a nightmare-less sleep.

     And then, it stopped, and all she heard was a long intake of air.

"Hati?" the voice was weak, as though not quite believing, trembling slightly.

     She took a step forward, nervously putting her hair behind her ears again, and into Skoll's sight.

     At once, his golden eyes widened, jaw opening to form an 'o' as he tried and failed to sit up, to get closer to her. Instead, his frail arms reached forward, shaking softly. Hati didn't need a verbal spur, throwing herself into his arms.

     Finally, finally, after months, their souls were reunited.

A/N) Yooooooo... did you see what just happened? I updated. I fucking updated. Can you believe this? Also, do any of y'all know Jahunta99 personally? She was a great reader of this book and I loved her critics, but she seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth before my last update, and I gotta know if she's safe and okay...
Anyways, love y'all!!!
- Lexie