Chapter Two

Severus Snape was sitting in his office, reading the few letters he had gotten from student sover the summer asking for help. Most were Hufflepuffs and Slytherins, the only two houses Snape noticed actually took interest in his class, along with one or two Ravenclaws clarifying results of a task they did correctly. A small, brown owl flew through his window and dropped a letter, leaving soon after.

Severus knew the owl belonged to Arebela Figg, so he put down his students letter and picked up hers, and started to read it.

Severus

You must come and take Harry. Tonight. Something has gone has gone horribly wrong, and Albus has ignored me for the past few months. He needs help, Harry does. You must take him from the house, or he will surely die there. I know you might not want to because of James, so do it for Lily.

Remember, it must be tonight, once you get this. Number Four Private Drive.

Figg

Severus re-read the letter twice to make sure he read correctly. What did she mean die there? He did not quite believe her, as she had always been exxentric, and was getting older, but figured she sounded sane enough in the letter, so he pocketed his wand and walked to his fireplace.

"Aberforth's Pub," He said as he walked in the fireplace, and was transported so he could apparate. One question on his mind in particular, was what was the Headmaster lying about? He had been told Potter was being treated like a prince, his every wish granted.

He closed his eyes to apparate, and appeared in front of a muggle house with a crack. Number Four... he thought while walking up the drive. It was almost eleven, so he figured the house would be asleep, so no point in knocking.

Harry awoke with a start as he heard footsteps in the hallway, but they were much too quiet to be a Dursley, even Petunia. Finally... a robber... maybe he'll take me away... or kill me...

The thought was a scary one, even though it meant being put out of his misery. He shifted to try and see out of the vent, and let out a gasp of pain with he hit his leg. The footsteps stopped for a moment before coming closer to his cupboard. He grasped Lily between his thin fingers, and held his breath. The person muttered a strange word he had never heard before, and the door flew open.

A man holding a stick dressed in all black, black clothes, black hair, black eyes, was standing in front of him, and Harry leaned back against the wall, hoping to put as much space between him and the man as possible. "Harry Potter..." The man whispered. He knelt down in the door of the cupboard, and gave Harry a small smile. "Harry... My name is Severus Snape. I was friends with your mum."

Harry shook his head. His mum did not love him, no matter what he saw in his dreams. She hated him, so this person would, too. "I've come to take you away from here." The voice was low and kind, comforting Harry. Snape, the man, reached his hand into the cupboard slowly, making him flinch back. The hand retreated. "What happened to your leg?" The man- Snape asked softly. "I was bad," Harry replied in a whispered. "Who did that to you?"

"Uncle. I was bad."

"Would you like me to make it hurt less?" Snape whispered. This intrigued Harry. "How?"

"Magic."

"Don't!" Harry suddenly exclaimed. "Don't what?" 

"Don't say that word. It's a naughty word." Harry said. "Lumos." Snape whispered, and the tip of the stick lit up. "No, Harry. Magic is real."

"What?" Harry relaxed slightly at the mysterious light before him. "I am a wizard, and so are you. So was your mum." The light grew a bit brighter, and Harry could really see his face. He looked young and old at the same time, which was confusing. His face was sharp and angular, and reminded Harry of a villain he had seen in one of Dudley's comic books, but his eyes were the opposite. They were deep, kind, soft.

"If I can make your leg feel better, will you come with me? I have friend who can make the rest of the hurt go away." Snape pleaded. Harry thought for a moment, and his eyes drifted from Snape to Lily to his blanket. "C-can I bring teddy and b-blanket?" He whispered. "Of course."

"Okay."

"Alright then. I'm going to need you to come out please. We won't leave yet, but I need a little space to work, can you do that for me?" Harry nodded, and crawled the best he could into the hallway, bringing his teddy and baby blanket along. "Just sit with your leg out, okay? You'll feel a pinch for a moment, and then it will feel better."

Harry did what he was told, flinching slightly. Snape leaned over his leg with the stick, and began muttering an incantation that confused Harry once more. He felt a small pinch, and then wound began healing itself, leaving Harry in awe. "H-How..."

"Magic, remember? Now, why don't you come with me, and my friend can do the rest?" Harry stood shakily, and took the man's open hand. "Are you g-gonna leave m-me th-there alone?" Harry asked fearfully. "No, of course not. She's going to heal you, and then you can get some sleep, food, a bed." Snape said more to himself than Harry.

"Now," Snape said as they stood on the drive. "We will be using magic to travel, and I need to carry you to do it. Is that okay?" Snape asked, looking down at Harry. "Will i-it hurt?"

"Not quite hurt, but it will feel uncomfortable, and you might feel nauseous." Harry cocked his head to the side in confusion of the big word. "Feel like you'll throw up, basically."

"O-Okay." Harry lifted his arms, and Snape picked him up by the armpits and rested him on his hip. "Hold on tightly to your things and me," Snape said, and Harry did so, burying his head in Snape's shoulder. He was terrified, not knowing if this was a good idea or not. As if sensing the boy's fright, Snape softly stroked Harry's hair. "Relax, you'll be okay."

And they left with a CRACK!  and a swirl of colors to Hogwarts.