16) Meri Behna? My Peace

Start from the beginning

'Humare souls switch ho gaye kya? Because I'm eye rolling and you're crying.'

That made her look at me with a small smile, she kept her head on my head, holding my hands, 'It has been really long, and I just don't want to be separated from you ever again.'

'I know meri jaan, and trust me, nothing will separate us now.' She nodded as I reassured her.

Something terrible happened when I was unconscious.

Cause there was no way Mansi would just start crying for no reason, unless something triggered it.

_

'So you're going to question him?'

As I sat outside in the lawn, after a lot of pleading to Paa to let me out of that forsaken room, Veer accompanied me, apparently his semester was almost done with and he only had a test to clear to enter in the next year.

'About what? My mothers death, the fight between them brothers, about my cancer prone body or him being a musician?' I looked ahead, feeling both funny and angry, 'You gotta chose one brother, there's so many.'

Veer laughed at my sarcasm and shook his head, 'Seriously, our families are so twisted. Hiding so many things from us kids like we're some stupid ignorant people.'

We drank our beverages in silence, it was almost noon, but I wanted to drink milkshake which Mansi made especially for me and Veer was sipping tea. He had this weird habit of drinking tea whenever he felt like. Mansi was working in her room, she did have a lot to finish and my father was in the guest room, alongwith the Chaudhary's.

'Don't you really want to know?' I confronted my brother, he looked at me with a blank stare.

'I was six when our mothers died, and unlike you both, I don't have a lot of memories with any of them. Mostly because I guess I was always with Virat Pa, I do remember him a lot. When our mothers died, I remember them, I know it's not a dream because it was real.'

Veer took a pause, as I grew more attentive, this was the first time he had said something about the past, 'I vaguely remember our mothers going out somewhere, I'm not sure where. I also remember Mansi wanting to go with them, but you stopped it and made Mansi join you as we three watched a movie together. I wanted to watch some movie and told you to join me and then you made Mansi join us.' He smiled, 'I guess that was the last time we three did something together.'

His voice was getting heavier and hesitant, I could sense how darker the story was getting, 'Before leaving, choti ma had walked to me, told me to hold on as they'd come back soon. For some reason, I didn't want them to go but they told me that they were going to get something for me. I agreed. Then mumma picked me up, asked me what I wanted as they'd get it, I told them about some random toy. She said she'd get it for me if I would be a good boy, then they left.'

A tear dropped from his eye, he was looking away, 'I didn't know what happened later, I just remember being told that there's no mother now, no choti maa, but that instant I only thought of my toy. I thought I was a bad person because of which I never got my toy. It's been 16 years Janvi, 16 years of me being good but I just didn't get that toy. I'm still that six year old waving at his two beautiful mothers a goodbye, waiting for that toy they'd being, telling them to leave soon.'

Tears fell from my eyes, as I hugged him, he held me, 'I would have never left them dii, if i knew that this was the last time I was seeing them.'

We sat there for God knows how long, quietly soaking in the warm summer breeze. He was the last person they interacted with.

'It is not your fault you know, whatever happened.'

'I know' He said he got off, 'But as much as I'd want you back in this house, I really don't want to know what happened. I'm not as strong as you, I am a six year old, just waiting for his mothers to come back. Not ready to accept that they're gone.'