Chapter 17

Clark Austen had been charged, and Kelsey could breathe easier. Except the treasure remained somewhere on her property. Robert had contacted his connections about accessing ground-penetrating radar often used at archaeological sites.

Oh, Ivy. Had her sweet grandmother known about this?

The puppies' cries resounded from the mudroom, pulling her attention back. Kelsey had named them what Ivy had chosen, but she wouldn't be able to keep them. She'd find homes for them. The fact that Chickory had come from Clark Austen wasn't the sweet lab's fault.

Someone knocked on the door. She'd been expecting Hayden so was surprised to see Mr. Kildare, her grandmother's attorney. "Please come in. What brings you by?"

Apprehension landed in her gut. She hoped there weren't complications to the process or that it would cost her more money in taxes.

He smiled. "Your grandmother was a delightful woman. She made the best pies." He arched a brow as if asking Kelsey if she was up to the task.

She chuckled. "I do have a slice of lemon meringue, but I'm afraid I didn't make it. My neighbor Elsa Packard shares Ivy's talents."

She led him to the kitchen, and he sat and ate a slice of pie. Obviously Ivy was friendly toward everyone. Kelsey hoped Mr. Kildare would get to the point of his business.

Finally he tugged a small envelope from his briefcase and slid it over. "This is to a safety deposit box. It was your grandfather's. I'm afraid Ivy didn't want to know what was in it. I've kept it all these years. I had all but forgotten about it."

Kelsey couldn't breathe. Then, "What bank?"

"Rainey State Bank. He kept it close."

"What's in the box?"

His eyes twinkled as if he enjoyed a good mystery. "You'll have to see for yourself."

He knew, but he wasn't about to tell her.

Mr. Kildare had long gone, and Kelsey couldn't wait for Hayden to arrive. They could go to the bank together. Maybe the safety deposit box held the treasure. It had to.

A bark came from the porch.

Hayden. She opened the front door and he smiled. "May I come in?"

"You're always welcome here. You don't think Thor will have a problem with the puppies, do you?"

"Nah. He'll be fine. In fact..." He scrunched up his face. "I've been thinking about this. I have my suspicions."

Realization dawned. "No! You don't mean..."

"If the puppies start to look like part German shepherd, then we'll know. I sometimes bring Thor over to my grandmother's, and he roams."

Her cell chirped. The number set her on edge. She glanced at Hayden. "My old chief at Sacramento PD." She answered the call. "Hello?"

"Kelsey. We have reason to believe that your life is in danger."

Glass shattered as gunfire exploded through the front windows.