Chapter 12

Hayden protected her. Sirens rang out. Police were quick to respond, but he feared it wouldn't be enough. How did he get Kelsey out of here?

Police cruisers surrounded them, and an officer approached. Hayden explained as Kelsey sagged against him. At the Redding Police Department they gave their statements. Fortunately, the police didn't keep them too long. Hayden called in to report to Detective Bradley about their experience.

He feared for her life. I don't know how to protect her, God.

"Now what are we going to do? We missed our lunch with Mr. Gierman." She got her on her cell. "I'm going to call him to explain and find out if we can have five minutes with him."

Hayden waited with her in the small café across from Gierman's offices while she made the call.

"Mr. Gierman? This is Kelsey Ingram." She nodded. "Uh-huh. Yes, there was a shooter. I understand you couldn't make it." She eyed Hayden.

He could almost smile at that.

"We're happy to meet you in your office. Five minutes. Ten minutes, tops. Good." She glanced at Hayden, her beautiful hazel eyes bright. "We're on."

He tugged her back from the windows. "Kelsey, the shooter could still be out there. He wants you dead."

She squeezed his hand, sending warmth straight to his heart, especially with that tender look in her eyes. Don't go there. You can't let her break you again.

"I think the shooter is gone, given the police presence searching the area. We have to do this. I appreciate you protecting me today." She pecked him on the cheek.

He would have thought it a friendly kiss for a sweet guy except for her rosy cheeks. The strong urge to fully kiss her coursed through him. He reined in his foolish emotions.

"Let's make it quick," he said.

In Robert's office, Hayden and Kelsey sat across from a large desk. Computer screens took up the space. Robert wore glasses and looked bookish, but he definitely had eyes for Kelsey. He shook their hands and held on to Kelsey's longer than necessary. They hadn't shared with Robert that Kelsey was the center of the shooting.

"Now, let me see the map in question."

She thrust her cell out with the image. He laughed. "It's just a picture? You could have emailed it to me. I thought you were bringing an actual paper map."

"I couldn't for reasons I don't feel comfortable sharing."

Robert's expression sobered. He adjusted his glasses and took the phone. "I'd really prefer if I could enlarge the image."

"No copies," Hayden said. "Enlarging it would require you to put the image on one of your devices."

"Yes, it would. Okay, then, understood." Robert studied the map. "I have an interest in these old maps because my grandfather was an old-school cartographer." He glanced at Kelsey. "Yours too?"

"Yes."

"That's where I became interested." After a few heartbeats, Robert finally said, "What more do you feel comfortable sharing with me? I don't know what I'm looking for here."

"If you found the map on a wall behind wallpaper, what would you think?" Hayden asked. There. He had a feeling Robert was taking his time so he could work up his nerve to ask Kelsey out.

"What would I think?" He glanced up at them. "I'd think it was a treasure map."

A treasure map worth killing for. Just what Hayden feared.