Chapter 7

Kelsey drove to Redding, about an hour away, to shop for security cameras. Hayden was working today, and then this evening he would be off for three days. Together they should be able to figure out what was going on. Her task was to buy cameras to place all around the house and property. Ivy hadn't had a reason for security cameras, but now Kelsey did. Hidden cameras would show her when someone came to the property. Cameras and a security system could help protect her and solve this.

A camera would also have prevented what happened in Sacramento—it never would have been her word against Martin's. She'd learned that he was a dirty cop much too late.

Kelsey parked and hurried in to get her hands on the electronics. Some of what she needed she had to order and would have to wait, but she could put a few items in place today. Hayden would help as soon as he got off duty.

Her purchases complete, she hurried to the pet store and bought more dog food, another big pillow and additional small bowls. Kelsey loaded the back of her vehicle and headed home. Those puppies were going to arrive any day now. She was not in the mood to deal with puppies, but she had no choice in the matter. Ivy had been excited about the new life and said it was a sign of good things to come.

Oh, Ivy. Part of her was glad Ivy wasn't here to see this happening. Interesting that it had erupted after Ivy's death.

Just what were you hiding on the property? If anything.

She took the turnoff to head out of the city and back to the country. A place she hoped to make her home once again.

A jolt hit her as a truck slammed into her vehicle, the impact sending her spinning. She screamed. Her car spun off the road, finally stopping in a ditch. The airbags hadn't exploded. The impact had come from the side. She glanced around her. Had that been an accident?

Her gut told her no. That it was another attack.

I have to get out of here.

She tried to start the engine again. The car wouldn't start. Kelsey reached for her purse where she kept her cell and gun, but it had fallen to the floorboard and she couldn't reach it.

A truck parked across the way. Help? Friend or foe?

Someone climbed from the truck. A man. He wore a mask. It was her attacker.

No one else was around to see on this lonely country road.

Kelsey jumped from her vehicle. She tried the car door to reach her purse, cell and gun, but it was locked. There was no more time.

Kelsey ran.