Chapter 9

Hayden had brought her back to Ivy's place. His polo shirt stretched across his broad chest and his jeans looked nice on him. She couldn't decide if he looked better in his deputy uniform or like this. Wait. What was she thinking? They'd been friends as kids, but something more as adults was off-limits.

Still, she couldn't help herself. It felt natural when she stepped closer and he wrapped his arms around her. She soaked in the reassurance she felt there, then eased from him.

"Thank you, Hayden. I can't fully express my gratitude." She smiled, hoping to dispel his somber face.

"I'm here for you. We'll figure this out together. I'm just glad you're all right. You keep getting hurt. I won't let that happen to you again."

She stepped free and shrugged. "I don't have a car now. They will probably total it. That's all I need right now."

After she'd been rammed, she'd run through the woods all the way to Elsa's house and called 9-1-1 from there. Kelsey had hated putting Elsa in danger, but she wouldn't go home alone. Not when the masked man had attacked her again today and she'd left her gun behind.

She'd cried earlier but had composed herself. She didn't want Hayden to see her falling apart. What was happening to her?

"I should be able to protect myself, but apparently I have a target on my back, and I guess that makes this different. I want to be strong, Hayden." She hadn't meant to tell him her deepest thoughts, but he was so easy to talk to. He'd always been that way. Why had she never noticed him—really noticed him—before?

He worked his jaw as if composing his words. "You lost your grandmother barely two weeks ago, Kels. Give yourself a break. I have to ask about why you left your job. What's happening here, you're sure it's not related?"

"What happened in Sacramento couldn't have anything to do with this. Someone wants what Ivy hid away. Let's get busy putting the cameras up. A security guy is coming out tomorrow to install that system, but I want my own cameras. Then we can start searching this place."

"Let's eat the pizza casserole my grandmother made first. I have to take the empty dish back, so she'll know if we didn't eat it." He winked.

After they made quick work of the casserole and finished off the homemade chocolate chip cookies, they set up cameras outside until it got too dark.

"You should be able to look at any camera from your smartphone," Hayden said.

They pulled up the app on her cell and viewed the cameras. Fortunately she'd been able to retrieve her cell, purse and gun from the car before it was towed away.

"I'll join the app so I can view the cameras on my own cell too," he said.

Pleased with their progress, she angled her head. "I hope we get this guy soon. I'd like to start searching the house tonight. Are you game?"

"Where do you want me to start?"