Chapter 10

"Hayden?"

At Kelsey's call, Hayden rushed through the house to find her in one of the back rooms. "What is it? You okay?"

"This is Ivy's old sewing room. She made the special nature quilts she sold to go with the herbs."

"Yeah, so?" He chuckled. "No pun intended."

She gave him a blank look, as if his joke was a nonstarter. He jammed his hands in his pockets.

Kelsey lifted a large roll of fabric. "This room used to be my grandfather's room."

"I'm listening."

"I mean, his map room. My grandfather was a cartographer. It's been years. I mean decades. He was eighty when he died, and that was twenty years ago."

"I remember that we weren't allowed in this room." He scraped a hand through his hair. "I totally forgot."

He looked at her, still waiting for an explanation.

"Maps. Don't you get it? A cartographer creates maps. Are those jobs even relevant in this digital age? I have no clue. I don't even know who he worked for or if it was just a hobby. If Ivy was still alive she could tell us. Maybe Elsa would know!"

"It's possible. Do you think his employment would give us a clue?"

"Not sure. I think this is a clue, though. Someone searched the house. Maybe you brought me home and scared them away before they got to this room. Or maybe they thought it was just a sewing room and not a hiding place."

"Do you want me to help you in here?"

Chickory barked, startling Hayden. "The dog actually barks!"

He reached for his weapon he'd kept tucked in the holster at his back. "I'll check it out."

"I'm right behind you," Kelsey said.

He crept through the house with his weapon at the ready. "Check your cell and the cameras."

"I'm already on it. A man is standing at the door. He's knocking."

Hayden tucked his gun behind his back. "Let me answer it." He opened the door.

A man in a white shirt and black business pants smiled as if he would sell them something. The hair on Hayden's neck bristled. What was the matter with him? Everyone wasn't the enemy.

Hayden spoke to the man through the screen door. "Can I help you?"

"Yes. I'm looking for Kelsey Ingram."

"And you are?"

"Oh, excuse me. I'd shake your hand, but—"

"Sir, please state your name and business." Hayden had slipped into his deputy tone.

The man's smile dropped. "Yes, of course. My name is Michael Haynes. I'm a Realtor. I've spoken to Ivy Ingram on occasion about the sale of her property. I thought perhaps Ms. Ingram might like to talk. I've left a few messages on the answering machine, but she didn't return my calls, so here I am."

Kelsey stepped up. "I already told the other guy who called me that I don't want to sell. I'm sorry you came out here for nothing."

After the Realtor was gone, Kelsey shut the door. She turned to Hayden. "Someone wants something—I don't know what, but something. A guy called the same day I was attacked, and he just wouldn't take no for an answer until I had to hang up on him. Now this Realtor is here and wants me to sell."

"Give me the name of the man who called you. I'll have the detective on the investigation look into both him and the Realtor."

He hoped that whatever Kelsey's grandmother had hidden away in the home wasn't worth Kelsey's life.