Chapter 6

Hayden had been called in to work unexpectedly during the night. Otherwise his shift would have started in the morning. He'd just finished with a call for domestic abuse at an apartment forty-five minutes from Kelsey's place. He didn't want to be so far on the other side of the county, but his assistance had been required.

Now he sped toward Kelsey's home. She'd called him instead of 9-1-1. He would be sure to correct that. He didn't want her safety to be compromised because he wanted to hear from her too. So he'd called dispatch, but he was the only deputy available in this part of the county tonight.

He screeched to a stop at the end of her drive and hopped from the car. Rushed to the porch. She fled the house and ran into his arms.

Kelsey trembled. This city cop in his arms had been terrified. This had to stop. He wouldn't stand for it, but what could he do?

He gripped her arms to look in her face. "Let's get you back inside. Tell me everything."

Inside her home, she'd already made coffee.

"I'm sorry you had to wait so long for someone to arrive, Kels. Maybe you shouldn't stay here."

"No. This is my home. I'm not leaving. No one is going to scare me away. I have a gun and a dog." She eyed the dog. "A lot of good it did. Chickory, don't you bark? I need you to bark when a stranger comes into the house, okay?"

The dog lay on her big pillow, appearing miserably pregnant.

"Please tell me what happened," he said.

"I woke up to a hand covering my mouth. I thought he was going to try to kill me again. He whispered in my ear to find what was hidden and give it to him or I would pay."

"Find what? What does he want?"

She pounded the table. "Exactly. What does he want? I have no idea. Ivy didn't have this trouble while she was alive. But apparently someone is searching for something in this house, and they think I have it or I can find it. After he asked me the question, he put a cloth with a knockout chemical over my face, I assume so he'd have time to get away before I called the police. You can have your people look at the cloth to determine the chemical."

Fury engulfed him. Hayden got up and peeked out the window at the woods beyond the herb garden. "That's what the digging is about. He's searching for something."

She barked a laugh. "It's like hidden treasure. What in the world does he believe my grandmother could have hidden?"

"It's clear to me this isn't going to end until this person is satisfied. I'm going to take a couple of days off and help you search." If he was a detective, he could work this case and wouldn't have to take time off to do it. "We'll figure it out together." When he glanced up, Kelsey was staring at him. "Unless you'd prefer someone else help you."

Kelsey moved closer. "Who else would I ask to help me, Hayden? I just think it's weird that I come back and you're here to help. You were always there for me." She smiled. That smile he'd always adored. "That's so sweet."

Sweet? He didn't want to be sweet.

Get a grip, Hayden. You're here to help. Not crush on her again.