Chapter 2. Party

"Okay, so that's all settled..." Kian lets out a sigh of relief as he gets off the phone with his insurance, leaning up against his car. "I'm really sorry."
"Mistakes happen." I shrug.
"Yeah, but I'm not gonna let this slip. I'm having a party tonight with my buddies at our house, you wanna come?" He smiles kindly. "It'll be fun."
"Um, that's nice of you to ask but I can't." He's so heart eye emoji and I'm so smiling piece of poop emoji. I can't go to his party when there's probably going to be a bunch of models flirting with him in designer clothes, and then I'll be in the corner wearing my cheap makeup and clothes from K-Mart.
He frowns. "Oh. Do you already have plans or something?"
"Yeah..." I say, unsure. In all honesty I don't, but I make something up. "With my roommate, Vanessa. We're gonna stay home and watch Netflix." He laughs. I smirk. "What?"
"I have Netflix, too. And if you come, you can sit on the couch and watch it for as long as you want. Just as long as you're there and having a good time."
"Well I'll see."
"All right. I really hope you can make it though. I feel really bad about this whole thing."
"Kian, you don't have to make it up to me. It's okay, honestly. I'm over it. 'Sides, this car is old anyway. You just gave me an excuse to buy a new one, so... Thanks, I guess?" I laugh. He laughs with me.
"Sure. Well text me if you're coming or not. And make sure to invite Vanessa." He gives me a small wave before getting into the driver's seat of his car. "Bye!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I arrive home with the tampons, Vanessa practically leaps from the couch, throwing her arms in the air.
"What the hell took you so long? How long does it take to get tampons?"
"Sorry." I mumble.
"I'm sorry, Annie, I didn't mean to sound rude. But seriously. You scared the poop out of me. I thought you got into a car accident or something."
"It's funny that you mention that, actually."
"Funny? How?"
"I kinda did. Kinda. This dude backed into me."
"What the hell?! How bad was it, Anna? Did you get his name and license and everything?" She sounds like a paranoid mother. I sigh.
"Calm. It wasn't that bad. We exchanged numbers."
"You hit on the dude who hit your car? Nice. Real nice." She rolls her eyes.
"I was only returning the favor. He hit on me first." I defend myself, a cocky smirk plastered on my face. She shakes her head and I can tell she's smiling.
"Zach said hi, by the way. He had to leave for work. Did you know my brother got a job at On The Border? On The Border, of all places. They probably hired him because we're Mexican." She bites her lip, noticing I'm not paying attention as I stare off into space, daydreaming about the party I may or may not be attending. "Okay, so about this prick who hit your car and somehow managed to get your digits... What's this dude's name? Is he cute?"
"Huh? Oh, Kian. His name is Kian and he's hotter than hell." She snorts.
"Someone is desperate."
"I'm just being honest."
"Mhm."
"Oh, and he invited us to his party later tonight. He said I can watch Netflix if I go so that's the only reason I'm going." I say, opening a bottle of water and taking a long sip. She nods.
"Uh-huh, I'm sure. We have Netflix here, you know." She pauses. "Wait, did you say us? He invited the two of us?"
"Yeah, I told him the tampons were for you so that's how he found out about your existence." I smirk. She hits me from across the counter playfully.
"I HATE YOU, ANNA. If he really is as hot as you say I'm going to murder you with my bare hands, ten cuidado en tu sueño."
"Sassy Latina mode has been activated."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As Vanessa and I sit on the couch watching one of her telenovelas, my phone vibrates on my lap and I quickly look to see who it is. I blush when I see Kian's contact name pop up on the screen.
Kian: hey, soooooooo u comin tonite or ?????
I quickly type back a response.
Me: yeah, we'll be there.
The speech bubble pops up rather soon and I wait in anticipation, nervously sucking my bottom lip.
Kian: awesome ! cant wait, its gonna be amazing , i promise :-)
Me: :)
And that was that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Ness, are you done yet?" I groan, impatiently tapping my nails on the marble counter. She calls from the bathroom across the hall.
"YOU'LL KNOW WHEN I'M DONE."
She was fancying herself up like usual. She always wanted to look good even though in all honesty, she could wake up without a shower and still look like a model. I envied that.
I'm wearing my washed-out and ripped blue jeans, white Vans, a white, laced crop top, and a plaid flannel wrapped around my waist. My auburn hair is straightened and my eye makeup is just a barely noticeable smokey eye, and I'm wearing a peach blush and clear lip gloss that tastes like watermelon. And as a finishing touch, I'm wearing the heart locket my parents gave to me when I graduated.
To be quite honest, I look hot. Not as good as Vanessa will, but still, pretty darn good.
"K, I'm finished." She comes out of the bathroom, her hair done like Ariana Grande's and her eye makeup all natural. She has on a little black dress with wedges, and a jean jacket to top it all off. She looks gorgeous.
"I hate you. You're too pretty and I feel intimidated with you standing next to me. At the party, keep like five hundred miles away from me." I put my hand up sassily. She laughs.
"You need to stop being so hard on yourself, you're stunning. Okay?" Her tone is serious all of a sudden. I nod, shrugging. "Now I hope there are cute boys besides Kian there because I'd hate to steal your man, and otherwise this will all have been for nothing."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After Kian texted me the address, Vanessa drove us to his house. Surprisingly, him and his friends only leave ten minutes from us. And yet I'd still never seen him in my neighborhood. Hmm.
"Hey!" Kian greets us, though he only looks at me, a huge grin spreading across his lips. In his hand is a plastic cup. "Glad you could make it." He finally focuses his attention on Vanessa. "You're the roommate, I'm guessing?" She nods.
"I heard someone told you about my little ordeal." He chuckles.
"It's not that big of a deal. It's just Mother Nature, don't worry." I smile at how sweet he is instead of acting disgusted, though I know as a guy he must be on the inside. He looks back at me, his grin growing even wider as if that was possible. "Come in!"
We do as we're told, and Kian shuts the door behind us. Looking around I spot a ton of people, some making out, others dancing, others on their phones (probably me the rest of the night). But five guys stand out to me, all gathered around the kitchen, turning to face us. My body heats up and I gulp.
"I wanna introduce you to some people." Kian whispers behind me, causing the goosebumps on the back of my neck to rise. He motions for me to follow him to where the guys sit, and Vanessa and I obey. One of them bites their lip as he continues staring at Vanessa, as if I don't exist whatsoever.
"Guys, this is Anna. She's the girl whose car I hit." They laugh, all except the one dude who's stuck in a trance due to my best friend's looks. I look over at Vanessa who's staring back at him, a seductive smirk on her face. I roll my eyes.
"And somehow she still let you make a move." One of the guys chirps up, to which Kian puts him in a headlock jokingly. I smile at the two of them before one of his pals taps my arm.
"How's your sister?" He asks.
"What? I don't have a sister." I respond, confused by his remark.
"Yeah, you do." He's creeping me out.
"Last time I was aware of, I'm an only child."
"What about Elsa? Or did you just... Let her go?" I snort at his stupid yet semi-funny pun.
"Trevor, you're gonna scare my guest away." Kian comes back to me, putting his arm around my shoulder, causing me to look at Vanessa to avoid any of his friends from seeing the tint on my face. Oh, God. She's still having eye intercourse with Kian's friend. Am I the only one seeing this? I cannot be the only one seeing this.
"Jc has a cwush." One of Kian's buddies teases the kid with the bandana on who's staring at Vanessa, and he waves him away.
"Shut up, man." Vanessa smiles at Jc's comment, and I can see her blush growing.
"You want me to put Netflix on for you?" Kian finishes laughing at Jc's embarrassment before looking at me with a soft look in his eyes. I smile and he returns the look.
"Nah, I'm fine actually."
"Good. 'Cuz if I'm being honest I was not looking forward to sitting on my couch with you as we watch some chick flick."
I blush. He was planning on watching a movie with me? Despite the fact there are plenty of other people he knows better that are probably much more intriguing and attractive (actually, scratch probably; UNDOUBTEDLY) than I'll ever be in a million years.
"What if I wanted to watch some thriller movie? Or an action movie, huh?" I scoff. "Sexist." His face turns serious.
"That's not what I meant, I just-"
"Kian," I laugh. "I'm kidding." He lightens up quickly.
"Oh, right. I knew that."
"Ricky! Hey!" A girl's voice calls. One of Kian's friends stands up, hugging the girl who called his name. I look at Kian to ask who it is and I realize he's gone.