Chapter 44

"It's not my sweater anymore. Have fun with it Commie."

Tord's breathing started to slow down, though he was still strongly clenching onto Tom. Tom just slowly rocked Tord while holding him close.

"Thanks." The words were choked and soft, but it showed a clear improvement in Tord's emotions. 

"So, you need a new sweater."

"Apparently."

"Can I get it for you?"

"You don't need to."

"I know."

"Alright, then go ahead."

"Alright, wanna do it tomorrow?"

"Sure. Text me when you wanna."

Tord slowly pulled away from Tom.

"I should probably head home."

"Yeah."
Tord didn't move. They stood there for a moment, enjoying the cool breeze and each other's presence. 

"Do you want me to walk you?"

"Sure."

Tom and Tord walked in silence to Tord's house. Though it didn't feel awkward. At least not to Tom. It just felt natural. 

Mrs. Larrison was sitting on the porch when they arrived. She seemed to be waiting for Tord.

"Tord, honey. Welcome home. You too, Tom. How was the concert?"

"It was good."

"Nice hoodie." Mrs. Larrison winked at the boys, a knowing grin covering her face. They both blushed and looked away from each other. 

"Well, see you at school tomorrow."

"Will do."

Tom headed home in the dark, going back to the motel. 

When he got into the familiar room he collapsed on his bed. His mind was at a level of chaos. He didn't know what he thought of Tord. Or he didn't want to. Because friends didn't just casually take each other's hoodies and say that it was amazing. Tom knew that wasn't normal, but he wanted it to be. Because if it was he could just say Tord was a friend and be done with the madness. With those thoughts echoed through his mind he fell asleep. 

The next morning, Tom got dressed early in the morning. The sun hadn't risen, but Tom didn't want to be confined to the walls of this room anymore. So he left to go on a run. He hadn't been doing that recently, but his mind was busier than usual and he needed to counter it. The town--especially his area--was a lot better when no one was up. No druggies were contaminating the air, and no couples were bickering. No gangs were in fights either. It was just still. And if such a chaotic place could be as peaceful as this his mind could be too. 

His breath dispersed in a small cloud in front of his face and he felt his body steadily getting hotter. The shock of his feet against the ground pulsed through his body, filling every vein.

Tom then returned to take a shower and get changed into non-sweat-covered clothes. He went into the school and headed to the hangout area where his friends were.