"It does count as kidnap when the scumbag has a restraining order," her ever calm voice cuts through the small untidy room. "Detective Nicole Hanson," she shows her badge and Stan gulps, seemingly surprised.

"Er...what's going on? Candy  you know the authorities are a threat to us here," he almost whispers.

"I have no concern with whatever illegal trash happens here,I just want to know where you're hiding him. I'm pretty sure you know that it's a legal offence to be an accomplice in abduction."

"Hey I don't know anything about the kid. He never even told me he was married."

Poor Nicole. My concern about her just rises with each detail I find out about her. Not only did her husband cheat,he also didn't acknowledge her at all. God knows what else she's been through. 

"That's not important. I'm drawing up a blank on where else he could be, and he frequented this place in the past. Telling me everything you know could save you a lot of trouble and downfall. Your employees are more than willing to talk,Stan. But I want to hear it from you. Where is Hanson?"

He sighs,runs his fingers through his hair and leans back on his seat.

"He can be dangerous."

"I know right," she almost laughs. Almost. " I know that more than anyone, believe me."

"You could catch him if you manage to stop the next flight out of Illinois. I booked him one for eleven this night, so you still have," he glances at his watch," half an hour."

"Crap!" Cole's up before he even says the words.

"One more thing," Stan fishes for something in his chest of drawers. "Here's a copy of his fake ID and photo,don't ask me how and where I got it done."

"Thanks so much Stan," I smile as Nate pulls me up.

"You didn't leave me with much choice," he laughs lightly.  "Just be careful with him;he can be bad news for you as he was for Ruby."

What?

Nate pulls me out with him and offers to drive us to the airport when we catch up with Nicole. The fact that traffic is light acts as a bonus for us. Nicole looks uneasy,like she wants to shout,scream and pull out her hair.

My thoughts are scattered all over the place,trying to figure out what Stan meant. I know that death is not something easy,but I'd never wish for anyone to die the way she did. Thinking about it makes the sound of her screams clearer in my head. My memory may be tainted,but those which I lost were replaced with some of the best and worst moments.

Her death tops the list of the worst nightmares of my life. No amount of tears I shed could ever be enough to completely wash away the pain I've been feeling since that night. I'm yet to go through an experience that tops it.

Ruby had worked at the very same club I worked in now since Evie turned one. Just like me,she would do anything she could to provide for Evie. A year into bartending at the Candy Shop,she'd gotten herself involved with some men from the club and landed her name in their black books. Bad luck could have as well been her middle name.

Those people are not the best to mess with, but Ruby did just that. Sometimes I think that if it weren't for her attitude and daredevil nature,she would still be alive.

"Morgan. Morgan we urgently need to talk. Meet me at the Candy; I have Eve with me. I'll wait in the dressing room Morgan," she had left me a voicemail. I listened to it an hour later and took the first cab to town.

I never got to know how and why she brought Evie along that night;she always stayed with Curly when Ruby and I went to work. Evie's traumatized state didn't help either; she couldn't bring herself to speak a single syllable.

When I got there,flames were eating up the building and Evie was crying for her mum. Fire. There's some sort of connection between it and I that I don't quite get. Everything always goes down in flames.

The experts and investigators said that Ruby was unconscious when the fire started, no wonder she never made a point of saving herself or Evie. An autopsy revealed that she had been on drugged. It was a plan. Someone got rid of her.

Why,though,was something I was yet to find out.

"Jas,we're here," Nate pulls me out of my mind. Nicole is already out and rushing her way in. If all goes well,we'll know where Phil is. Hanson will go back to jail(he always finds a way of showing up back into our lives),I'll find out the truth behind Ruby's death and it will all be over.

***
Yes yes it's coming to an end soon!!
Ha just kidding!!
I'm so utterly sorry that I haven't updated in forever and two day😪excuse my laziness please.
Talk to me...let me know what you think in the comments.
And VOTE!!! Please do VOTE and COMMENT and SHARE THE STORY TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL LOVELY AMAZING FRIENDS💓💓