THIRTEEN

Dissociative Identity Disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder, is a mental condition caused by traumatic or tragic experiences such as war or childhood abuse in which the victims switch between different personalities and become a whole different person.

They're also completely unaware when the change takes place. The reasons why I believe that Nicole is suffering from this are many...and justified. It could be that she went through a heap of shit with her biological parents, or she was traumatized into that state while living at the Smiths' mansion.

The latter seems more likely because I think no one could've missed her strange behaviour through all those years.  If not so,then there's Hanson. Nate did say that he's a fucked up excuse of a man. Everything with Nicole is just a tangled web of confusion and contradiction.

She barely recalls tiny details sometimes, like what she did the previous night, or her own son's age. Or maybe... she just has poor memory and severe anger issues??

I steal a quick glance at her as she speaks to one of the tenders at the Candy Shop.

"Do you think Nicole would mind me being her friend?"

"That highly depends on what she thinks your intentions are. Especially since it's you. You two aren't the best of friends," Nate explains and I nod. His arm is secured around  my waist and he refuses to move half an inch away from me.

Whether I should tell him about what happened between Cole and Mr Grumpy is still undecided. I'm bidding my time and finding out as much as I can.

"You can't be there for everyone, baby. Cole can take care of herself, I trust her."

Once again,I nod and lead the way into Stan's not-so amazing office.

"He's a nice guy."

"I still don't want you here."

"I still say you don't tell me shit," I reply in defiance.

Stan is counting some cash when we walk in. A smile lights up his face.

"Candy. Long time," he beams and offers us a seat.

"Stan. I'm sorry for suddenly leaving like that."

"We miss you. The crowd misses you;you know just how to drive them wild." I feel Nate clench his fist against my thigh and I smile. Jealous much.

"Maybe I'll make a return one day,you never know," I say just to irk Nate. "Anyway,I'm here because I need help with something. It's very important, Stan."

He raises his brows in concern and stashes away a bundle of cash on one of the drawers before him then turns his attention back to me.

"Tell me,Candy."

"I'll get on with it...I heard from a source, that he's an old acquaintance of yours?" I slide a photo across the table to him.

"Hanson!" Yes,Hanson. "Yeah we...we go way back,in high school," he looks at us curiously.

"His is a big name now,so I bet you heard that he was imprisoned a while back. And that he's out now," I watch his face for his reaction.

"I did. He's been here a couple times before, watched you dance even." My eyes go wide. He's been here? Has he...has he been stalking me?

"You're a big name in this place, so it shouldn't be a surprise," he reassures me.

"Oh,I guess it shouldn't." But it is.

"Well the time of his escape kind of coincides with that if his son's abduction and he's currently the prime suspect."

"Of his kid's kidnapping? But he's the father,I don't see how that is a problem. Does that really count as kidnap?" If this is the point where I reply with something along the lines of 'that's a very good question' then I don't get to do it as Nicole interrupts.