FOUR

Unknown Pov.
"How many times should I tell you not to blow your stupid smoke in the house,you nutcase?" Her voice becomes louder as she takes the steps up. If I don't leave now, I'll surely be busted. I take a look at that tiny chest rising and falling rhythmically to the pattern of her breathing, her cute little face peaceful.

"She was out when I did it."

"Whatever, just don't do it again. It's unhealthy." Leaning down,I stroke a few strands of hair from her face. The wind blows in through the window, wafting the scent of bubblegum and cotton candy into my nose. My eyes go shut for a second as I commit the scent of her to memory,where the sound of her laughter and her bright smile are kept. All I have to do when I can't see her is close my eyes, and the image will flash bright and clear in my mind's eye. Sleep tight angel,I sigh before silently jumping out the window,crashing the cigarette butt under my boot a few yards away then leaving.

Jasmine
"Go on,make yourself useful; turn on the lights," I step aside for him to get in first.

"You're always so hard on me," he pouts but does as I say. We both step into the room,Jon sleeping peacefully in my arms.

"You make it easy for me to, Rick." I walk to my side of the bed and lay the lightly snoring boy beside Evie then drape the quilt over him. "You do realize that this room reeks of tobacco, Rick," I scold.

"Gosh, I'm sorry, mom. This was the last time. Promise." Promises are just words. I'm sure he'll be smoking again tomorrow. And the day after. I really worry for him. If not for the love I have for him, I would have bashed his head right against the wall. Eve sleeps peacefully, her fingers lose around Patrick's fluffy arm. The close wind blows her hair to her face but she sleeps on unbothered.

"Shut the window, will you?" I say without looking up from from her face. "Have all the rest you need,love. I'll be back before you realize I'm gone," I kiss her forehead and pull the quilt to cover her Patrick, doing the same with Jon before getting up. "Rick-"

"Check up on them regularly, no noise as they sleep, in case you're not back tonight, Evie's cereal's in the second drawer from the left...medication's in your black sling bag. What am I forgetting?"

"That's about it," I smile and kiss his cheek. "Do it right this time please. Take care too,bye," I sling my bag over my shoulder and rush downstairs.

"Be back soon," Curly calls out from the kitchen. The cold air of the night hits me in the face and arms,causing goosebumps to form on them. I'd pass off as sick just to take a break for the night,but I need the money. Besides,it's only a few more rounds till I quit altogether. It's a Friday night and The Candy Shop will especially be packed today. The more the bills,the less trips I'll have to make here. Evie's checkup is scheduled for tomorrow, so is the carnival. This time I'll accompany her; the whole day, the whole way. No classes, sidejobs or dances. I take a cab down to town,making a mental note to pick up motorbike from Vic's first thing Sunday morning.

"I'll be good from here mister,thank you," I hand him some cash and alight,walking the rest of the distance from town to the club. As I make my way to the back,my bag falls off my shoulder as someone whirls me around by the wrist.

"Hello,Candy," his breathe fans my face as his masculine scent invades my senses,making me forget to breathe for a second. I give his face one quick look,my heart almost melting at his beautiful, beautiful features.

"Nathan," I breathe. He chuckles at my reaction,raising an eyebrow amusedly. "What do you want?" I spit in a bored tone,hoping to brush off the evident fact that he just almost knocked me off my feet. Almost.

"Work, huh? I thought we said this isn't safe."

"Who's 'we'? Just get off my way,I'm running late." I try to wiggle my arm out of his grasp but he holds on,pushing me against the whitewashed wall.

"Quite the busybody." His minty breath fans my face as he speaks,causing a warmth to run up my cheeks and neck. I can feel his fingers fiddling with the hem of my baggy T-shirt.

"Yeah now if you don't mind pulling away your disturbing frame from me."

"I've been doing some research," he replies casually, "about sweets and candy. You know: the best flavors, stores in town and what have you. Turns out this is the best store,so here I am. What a coincidence to find you here." Silly,I work here.

"Sorry kid,I don't got no coins for you today," I yank my arm from his hand,unsuccessfully.

"Or I can be the one to offer you something sweet? What'd you like? Pinpops? A jawbreaker?" he smirks. "Shove it down your throat till you can neither be so mouthy nor look at me like that," he chuckles against my neck,his hand slipping under my shirt and making it's way to my chest. A delicious shiver runs down my spine and I involuntary arch my back in anticipation for his touch before I jerk away from him,pushing him hard. He let's out another chuckle and walks away.

"Till we meet again. I have a performance to catch."
I mutter a string of curses as I push the door angrily, walking into the changing room and throwing my bag agitatedly at one of the stools.

"