SEVEN

Jasmine
"Coffee?" Nate hands me a medium latte and I take it without a word. "Jasmine, you don't even have shoes on." I look down at my feet then hold onto the coffee tighter,not saying anything. "Doctor," he says a few moments later and I spring to my feet.

"How's my daughter, doctor?" Please tell me she's okay. The wait had been long and painfully torturous. I couldn't think of anything else.

"Luckily she did not sustain any burns,but the amount of smoke she took in almost damaged her airways completely. She's positive for hypoxia. We'll have to run a series of tests to check for lung damage and oxygen levels. We'll also be performing bronchoscopy to suction debris and help clear her airways, and from there we'll know what treatment will be most effective. Otherwise for now she's stable and out of danger."

"Can I see her?"

"Of course you can. Excuse me."

"Okay thank you." I watsh his retreating back and heave a sigh relief. She's out of danger. Thank heavens.

"I talked to Nicole."

"What was she doing there anyway?"

"Er...Curly called her." Curly called Nicole? But why? " She thinks she saw someone jump over the backyard fence minutes before you left for work. It's possible that the fire wasn't an accident, and that someone's been in your house without your knowledge, more than once probably. I'm guessing Cole had talked to her before and said to call if she finds out anything." A shiver runs down my spine.

"Why would someone burn down my house?" My eyes are stuck on him. " I don't have any enemies I can think of,apart from Evie's dad maybe. And I don't have your sister's kid." I scowl.

"Hanson's in prison, in the Philippines. Drug trafficking." Oh. "And I know you don't have Phil,Jas. You and my sister have a common enemy right now;Hanson. Unless you can think of someone, anyone, from your childhood maybe."

"I don't remember," I whisper absently.

"What was that?"

"I don't know." I don't remember anything from age ten downwards. I haven't for years now. "Now that I think of it,Evie's been talking of seeing someone in her sleep...or room whichever. But those could be just dreams, for all I know. She's had nightmares ever since Ruby passed away right in front of her. This is getting confusing."
Who would want to harm us,and why? Then there's the question of who rescued Evie from the fire,left her in Mrs Peterson's backyard where Nicole found her. Don't even get me started with how much of a freak that woman can be. Heavens know what took her there. "Could it be the same person? But then why did he bring Eve to safety if he's after her? Or me. And Hanson is Phil's father. Why would he abduct his own child?"

"Oh he's one psycho,I'll give him that. But that's Cole's story to tell. Do you have somewhere to spend the night?"

"I was going to move out soon anyway. I've saved up enough for a nice new apartment. But now I'll have to find a way,maybe we'll stay at Curly's for the time being as I take care of the hospital bills."

"Too late,I already got that covered." I glare at him. "Oops," he chuckles.

"I can manage on my own,Nathan. This is not necessary,and there's no bad blood between us. You did what you did," I take a small sip of the coffee growing cold in my hands.

"Jasmine. I didn't do it. Plus,I want to do this. You can use my condo. That place is no longer safe for all of you."

"Nathan-"

"I also got you a pair of sandals, it's in the car." He smiles. I sigh in resignation; I don't have the energy to argue right now.

"I'll think about it."