Half of the bottle was gone when I took off the necklace and put it in an envelope.

"I don't want it." I wrote on it and slid the white rectangle under Liam's door.

Liam wasn't sleeping. In barely a minute, he wrote, "It's yours" next to my words.

"Shove it up your ass together with your kisses and sweethearts" was my written answer. It was mean and childish, but the hurt his attitude caused me wasn't something I could get past easily.

He let me believe he cared, and that was worse than ignoring me or treating me like the roommate I was.

That time, he didn't write anything, and I cried myself to sleep after chugging down the rest of the drink, promising myself it was the last time I would do if because of a guy. It was high time I learned the lesson.

***

Two days had passed- two days of avoiding Liam at all costs. I left the apartment before he woke up and studied in the university library, finally making some progress. I directed all my anger and frustration toward my studies, and the result was better than I could've hoped for. Things finally started to make sense, and I crossed a few assignments off my long to-do list.

I only went home when I knew Liam wasn't there and spent two evenings in the dance studio, dancing and doing some stretches.

It couldn't go on forever, but for now, it worked.

Today was the third day of avoiding my roommate. He sent me ten texts I deleted without reading. Nothing he could say would make me forgive him.

I had afternoon classes at uni and headed to the studio right after the professor dismissed us.

Brigitte was at the reception, reading one of her worn paperbacks and sipping her tea. Once again, I was the only person who went there to dance. At first, I thought it was a coincidence, but now I wasn't sure of that.

"Sky! You again!" The woman beamed, taking off her glasses and rubbing the bridge of her nose. "The weather is awful today. Mark my words- it will pour with rain in no time."

"I hope it won't," I replied. "I'm not dressed for that."

Brigitte smiled again. "Would you like a cup of tea? We can talk for a bit. The evenings here can be lonely."

I shrugged, lowering myself onto an old chair. "Sure, thank you."

A few minutes later, Brigitte handed me a cup of jasmine tea and sat behind the desk.

"Am I the only one who comes here in the evening?"I asked, not missing the silence filling the building once again.

Sighing, Brigitte smiled sadly. "You noticed, didn't you?"

"I did. A place like this should be swarming with people, and it isn't. I don't get it. Its location is marvelous, and I'm sure that many people know about it, right?"

"They used to know about it," Brigitte corrected me. "Back when my sister Anna was alive. She passed away last year and left this school to me, her only family. It was her life. She used to be a ballerina, and when she retired, she invested her savings in this building and opened her dance school. She wanted to leave something to the future generations, but it's not that easy."

"Why?" I asked.

"I'm old, and I have no idea about dancing, Sky. This old school that needs repairs cannot compete with modern studios that hire the best dancers. We only survive thanks to a handful of loyal students and Monsieur Arnaud's donations. He knew my sister and has a soft spot for this school."