Chapter Twenty-Eight

Early morning I drove to the familiar house, knocking on the door in anticipation.

"Hey, Rixton," I said with a smile as the tall man opened the door for me, shirtless, mouth full of white suds and a toothbrush hanging from his lips. "Is Reth home?"

"I think he's still sleeping. I'm about to leave for work but you're welcome to come in," he mumbled out through the paste, opening the door wider for me. I made my way to Reth's bedroom, cutting the light on in his dark room and illuminating his sleeping frame.

"Reth, get up! We'll be late for school if you don't!"

He let out a groan and rolled over sleepily.

Holiday break had sped by in a flash. I had spent my two weeks off with my mother, not having seen Reth the entire time. I had missed him more than I was willing to admit, but I needed to spend more quality time with my mom. Things had been tense between us but I felt like she was beginning to accept my life choices and not be so strict.

She had given me her car for Christmas and bought herself a new one. I was beyond greatful but I knew she had only given it to me so that her tracker would tell her where I was at any given moment. But that was okay; I didn't get in to trouble anyway. I would be eighteen soon enough and I hoped that by then she would back off.

"Five more minutes," he mumbled.

"No, get up, we are going to be late."

"Clare," he whined. "I'm tired!"

"I don't care," I chuckled, tugging the comforter off of him.

I gasped, backing away in shock as I realized he was nude. "Reth!" I screeched.

"Like what you see," he smirked at me, sitting up in bed.

"Oh my god," I huffed, embarrassed, looking up at the ceiling. "Please get dressed."

"Calm down, it not anything you haven't seen before."

"That doesn't mean I want to be all hot and bothered right before school," I hissed.

"Fine," he murmured. He tugged on a pair of boxers and I relaxed.

"Now can you please get ready, this is our first day back to school and I don't want to be late."

He put a pair of pants on, the band if his boxers making an appearance at the rim if his jeans. I bit my lip, looking up at his toned chest. He ran his hand through his tousled hair. I held my breath at the sight of him.

"If you keep looking at me like that I'm going to have a hard time keeping my hands off you," he told me. I looked away, feeling my cheeks heat up in a hot blush. He pulled a t-shirt over his head followed by his jacket.

"I brought you breakfast." Handing him the paper bag in my hand, he opened it, revealing his favorite bacon and egg breakfast sandwich.

"You are an angel," he moaned dramatically, stuffing his mouth. I laughed at his over-the-top attitude.

"We should get going."

"Wait! You have to open your Christmas present first," he turned to his bedside table, picking up a messily wrapped package and handing it to me. "Sorry, I suck at wrapping gifts."

"Hold on, I thought we were going to do this after school!"

"I don't care, I want you to open it now."

"Okay, but you have to wait for yours."

"I can wait. You open yours."

Tearing the paper, I revealed a book underneath. The title It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover caught my attention, and I examined the novel excitedly.