02-R-eturn

The next day came quickly and we were clearing the dishes after lunch as usual. At least that was what we were doing before we heard the shelter door opening and a commotion was heard. Aggravating heavy footsteps along with a familiar deep voice entered our ears. 

"HELP!" Mister's loud voice boomed throughout the hallway. 

"What happened?" Don asked with an unsettling tone. 

I hurried out only to see Mister carrying a heavily injured Emma on his back. Is she... dead? I felt fear coursing through my body at the sight of my friend. I felt Gilda beside me tensed up before  bolting off quickly towards the direction that leads to the system room. 

"Where is Ray?" One of the kids asked. 

"He's coming later." Mister quickly cleared the table and set Emma down on the centre.

I inspected the wounds and Emma's vitals to see her condition. I placed three fingers on her neck and on her wrist trying to detect any pulse. One.. two.. I can still feel her pulse faintly. 

"She's still alive, but she's in a critical state." I lifted my hands to stop the raging Gilda holding a certain self-destruct button. Gilda immediately loosened her grip on the button and I can see Mister relaxed from his tense form beside me. Gilda rushed to my side to take a proper look at Emma's condition.  

Mister clicked his tongue and started to give orders to the other kids on preparing things needed to treat Emma. I analyzed the wounds on Emma, it was all closed and cauterized with something hot. 

"Did Ray do all this?" I asked him while helping him remove the clothing on Emma to start with the treatment. Mister looked at me for a split second before nodding. 

"You're quite perceptive in this. Help me in dressing the wound and perform a small surgery on her." He told me.

 "Alright." I quickly took the alcohol prepared by the kids and sterilized all equipment. 

We'll save you Emma don't you worry, I won't lose another friend, I won't let him down, I will protect the light that is precious to him!

I slumped down beside Emma's bed after the long treatment was done. All the adrenaline left my system and exhaustion had taken control of my form. Nat and Anna prepared the bed earlier and Mister carried Emma into the bed while I set up the IV drips needed with the help of Thoma and Lani. 

"Is Emma going to be alright?" Yvette and Jemima asked while looking at Emma with nervous gazes. I gave them a smile, 

"She's going to be okay. The whole procedure went smoothly and she passed her critical condition." I reassured them with a smile. 

Although I'm not sure as to when she will regain consciousness. 

"You did a great job assisting me." Mister spoke up as he checked Emma's vitals one last time. 

"Thanks Sir, but I'm just trying to make sure my whole family survives." I looked at Emma's still body. Especially her. 

"What's your name, kid with the_____(specific trait)___?" He asked. I looked up feeling quite surprised at his question. 

"It's _____." I smiled.

Three weeks have passed and Emma has yet to regain consciousness. I made sure to check on the drips daily and redress her wounds from time to time, switching with Anna. She showed a high interest in the medicinal area and treatment ever since. We were all staying put because Mister told us that we have to wait for Ray and the other escapees from Goldy Pond. Things had been going on pretty normal, cooking, planting, polishing our skills, doing the laundry and cleaning, along with helping the kids tend to themselves. 

"_____, Gilda, Don! Quick you have to see them! Ray and the others have arrived." I heard Dominic bursting through the door. 

We quickly made our way out to the entrance where we can see at least twenty or more people tagging along behind Ray, along with the wounded ones. I saw Ray's exhausted form, yet he seemed to let down his guard. 

"I'm home." Ray said on behalf of the people behind him. 

It took us a little while of silence in disbelief, before everyone started cheering and being very relieved at the sight of Ray, Mister and of  course, the more addition to our family.  

"Welcome home!"

***Writer's corner: Hello, welcome to the second chapter of Saudade! I'm sorry for Norman's absence so far. But just bear with it for a while he'll show up soon enough! :D

Thanks for reading, have fun and enjoy! <3