1.9 | Reencounter With Her Ex

Start from the beginning

We step around a guy who's passed-out on the grass, but not before Zach makes sure he's okay.

"Melody begged me to come back for her birthday, so I decided to take a semester off to spend some time with her. I guess I owe her that much after missing so many holidays." He lets out a nervous chuckle. "I've been so deep in my studies that I completely neglected my family."

"So, if you're here for her, why are you currently at a party?" I tease.

"Hey, I've already spent an entire week by her side. She's even sleeping with me in my room. She has her own bed, yet she's sleeping in mine. My back hurts from sleeping on the floor, you know? I think I deserve some time for myself." He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me close to his body as we walk along the sidewalk

"You can't blame her for missing her brother. Hell, even I missed you." I admit, feeling like my heart is about to explode from so much happiness.

"I missed you, too." He plants a kiss on my temple and I smile. "I'm really sorry for losing contact. Like I said, I got lost in my studies. I hope you didn't take it personally."

"No, it's all right." My eyes wander to the local park as we pass by it.

I pull away from him to go to the swing set. He follows without question and sits on the one next to me.

"So," I begin, staring up at the stars as we swing gently. "How's college?"

"It's alright." He sighs. "A bit stressful, but I'm pulling through."

I hum in acknowledgment. "Any girl I should know about?" I ask teasingly, looking over at him to see his reaction.

He rolls his eyes and swings his legs to go higher. "If I ignored my family, you really think I'd go spend time with a girl? In all honesty, I'm still hoping you're available when I get back in a couple of years."

A wide smile takes over my face. "I don't know about that," I feign thoughtfulness. "There's this guy..."

"Well, that's one lucky guy."

A smile takes form on my lips before I frown in remembrance. He's avoiding me like the plague. Probably hates my guts. But I wouldn't blame him.

I shake my head, trying to move past my dark thoughts.

"Let me correct myself," I laugh humorlessly. "There was this guy."

"If it's meant to be, it will." He stops swinging his legs as he sighs, causing the swing to slow down.

The frown on my face deepens and he jumps off his swing to walk over to me. I look up into his eyes as he grabs my face.

"Please make sure you don't settle for less than what you deserve." The authority in his voice makes me nod my head absently. "I mean it, I'd hate to know you got broken by someone who didn't deserve you in the first place."

"Ian's a sweet guy." I defend without thinking. "I'm the one who messed it all up."

He lowers himself into a squat to meet my eye level.

"Talk to me. What happened?"

"We were just fake dating to get his crazy ex to stay away from him because she wouldn't leave him alone after she cheated. It was supposed to stay platonic, but last weekend we got drunk and woke up together in his bed." I grumble, burying my fingers into my hair. I pull in frustration. "I suggested for us to forget it happened and move on... he didn't take it well..."

"Yikes," he sucks in a sharp breath through his teeth as he grimaces. "Seems to me that something about that night probably meant something to him, and you telling him to forget about it was a slap in the face."

My eyebrows furrow. "Amber told me the same thing. I'm such an airhead if you two could figure that out as outsiders." I groan.

"Do you like him?" He surprises me by asking.

"I don't know," I try to give myself some time to really think about it. "I'm conflicted. It's just that... I've never liked anyone other than... well, you."

"But it's a possibility. Right?"

I pout, really thinking.

"I'm asking because I remember when we first started dating," he smiles at the memory. "Sleeping with you was the last thing on my mind, but you told me you wouldn't unless you really trusted me. I was happy when you initiated it. I knew you trusted me, but most of all, I remember that was the first time we said 'I love you'."

"I remember that," I say fondly. "But... what are you getting at?"

"I take it you really like this lucky guy." He smiles, but it's a sad smile. "Is something stopping you from admitting it, even to yourself?"

I bite my lip nervously, "Perhaps his crazy ex girlfriend?" I sigh, defeated. "I don't know, honestly. If something is stopping me, I have no idea what it is. What I do know, is that I hate the fact that he's avoiding me. It... hurts."

"Have you tried talking to him?"

I nod. "Yes, I've tried. But he's either locked up in his room or he isn't home. If I'm gonna be completely honest with myself, I miss him. God, I miss him so much."

"Do you know where he is now?"

"At the party. Last time I caught a glimpse of him, he was with another pretty girl."

"Come on, lets go back." He straightens up and stands, grabbing my hand to pull me up with him. "I want to see you happy. And if it's his attention that you want, then I'll help you get it."

I push my eyebrows together. "And how are you planning to do that exactly?"

He smirks at me over his shoulder. "Don't question me. I have my ways."

I can't help but laugh. "Okay then. Lead the way."

Author's Note

New and improved chapter nineteen is finally here! I hope you enjoyed this one better, because I sure did. Thank you for allowing me to rewrite it, but most of all thank you for continuing to support me even after I'm away for a while. You really don't know how much that means to me.

Quick side note, I made a new account. It's @kimberlymbravo (I'm following myself lol) it will be my new pen name. I'm planning to write more serious books there that I plan to publish. Of course, that won't be until I finish my books here.

It'd mean the world to me if you followed me there, though. It will be my fresh start, since I don't want to delete this account because these books still mean a lot to me. The sex scenes just aren't my proudest moments and I would like to keep that here.

I'm just asking for you not to mention this profile on there, since I'm planning to have my family and friends join me on that page when the time comes. Thank you and I love you all so much 🥺