0.4 | A Ride To School

Sapphire

I hum a tune as I place the strips of bacon on the plate, before serving the french toast beside it. "Ian, breakfast is ready!" I call out.

He walks out of his room and into the kitchen in his jersey and black jeans, his wet hair combed back. Casually, he pulls out a stool and takes a seat, smiling down at his plate. "I don't know if it's just because I've been wanting someone to cook for me for so long or what, but this looks amazing. Thank you."

"I'm sure it's just because you didn't have to cook it yourself. But sure, no problem." I laugh, watching him cut up a piece of french toast. "Also, you finished the juice yesterday, so I made you some freshly-squeezed orange juice." I set his glass down as I take a sip of my water bottle.

"This French toast is delicious." He pauses mid-bite, furrowing his eyebrows as he looks for my plate. "Wait, you're not eating?"

"Nah, I already brushed my teeth. I'm just following the house rules." I point out, going around the kitchen island to walk towards my room. "Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go before I miss the bus."

"Bus?" He repeats in a questioning manner. "You take the bus to school?"

I spin on my heel, crossing my arms over my chest as I raise a brow. "Yeah? Is there a problem with that?"

He throws his hands up, "Nope, just a question." He pauses momentarily, "but I'll give you a ride, if you want."

"Thank you for the offer, but I would like to keep my head where it is."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He chuckles.

"It means you have a crazy-jealous girlfriend and I don't want to get on her bad side."

He mutters something under his breath as he drinks his orange juice and I walk towards him, hands on my hips. "I'm sorry, what was that?" I inquire. He looks taken aback when he sees me, before sending me a sheepish smile. I narrow my eyes, "Ian..."

"It's a little late for that. You got on her bad side the day you moved in." He explains. "She knows I need help paying for this place, but I guess she just didn't expect for me to rent to a girl."

"Great." I grumble, dragging my feet to walk into my room. "Just great!"

I hear him laugh, "It's not that big of a deal."

"Says you! You're not the one being targeted by the biggest bitch in school!"

"Watch it." He warns. "That's my girl."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot you have a psychopath as a girlfriend." I step back out of my room with my backpack fixed on my shoulder. "Do you know what happened to the last girl who let you borrow a pencil? A pencil! All because her hand accidentally touched yours as she handed it to you."

"No, I don't. Enlighten me."

"She ripped her P.E. shorts without her knowing. Poor girl had to switch schools because the entire class found out she wore underwear that said 'spank me'."

"Kinky." He muses.

"That's not funny."

He sighs, finishing the last of his breakfast. "Look, do you wear embarrassing or kinky underwear?"