1~ Hard knock life

It was the noise from the rain patters on her window that woke her up. Grace sprang up from her bed immediately and looked around like a deranged teenager. Had she woken up late? She let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was still dark outside. That was her most reliable way of knowing what time it was.

She felt for her glasses on the tiny table in her dark room and picked it up. Next was the torchlight she would use. She needed to be quick with her morning chores so she could run to Amy to help her braid her hair before she left for boarding school later in the morning. If she missed Amy, she would have to pack her hair up for the first week of school because she knew her aunt would never give her money, especially now that her uncle was away on business.

She hurried out being careful not to bang her toe against anything in the cramped space called a room. Considering that she already knew every inch of the room, she had no problem with that.

Since she had began living with her uncle and his family, her duties were etched into her memory. Her uncle's wife, Doyin, would not leave any stone unturned when she was cross-checking the house every single day. After sweeping and mopping the house thoroughly, washing her uncle's car even if he had travelled, ironing out Doyin and her daughter's entire clothes she had washed the previous day and checking for any surprise dishes the 'queen' could have dropped in the kitchen due to her late night eating habits, Grace was sure she was done.

She was a little bit worried when she had gone into her aunt's room and didn't see her but she shrugged it off. Maybe she was just in the bathroom.

Grace made her way to the living room. She needed to leave immediately. She almost froze when she spotted her aunt sitting on the couch and focused on the show on the TV screen. It was like she had been waiting for her to finish; like she knew. Maybe she could just sneak......

"Charity."

Grace halted.

Ah yes, the name that had been so kindly bestowed upon her by Doyin. The name had stuck like a tag and it was like she enjoyed the way it rolled off her tongue. Sometimes it was charity, sometimes charity case, and sometimes she was even nice enough to just call her case- even in front of visitors.

"Where do you think you're going to?" Doyin had called her back the moment Grace had made a move to walk out the front door from behind where she was seated on the couch.

Grace turned slowly and smiled.
"Aunty, good morning. I have to go and make my hair."

"Don't deceive yourself with the thought that you're leaving this house. Are you done with your work?"
Doyin chewed on the gum in her mouth loudly.

"I did everything."

"I don't think so." Doyin finally turned away from the TV. "Your uncle is coming back today and he has to eat. You see that green bowl on the freezer? There are six cups of melon seeds in it. After you peel them, make sure you grind."

Grace stared at her moving lips and for a split second- just a split second- she just wanted to take that gum and tie it tight around Doyin's neck.

If Eagle eyes caught her with unbraided hair the next day, she would be in trouble. At least, she was happy her uncle was coming back today. That would be her saving grace.

*****************

Grace could tell the smile on Doyin's face was so evil as she returned to the living room after dropping off her uncle's plates in the kitchen. She knew it was because she was going to sit on the couch. If her uncle was not around, Grace wasn't stupid enough to try and sit on it. Her advantage, Adekunle Abraham.

Adekunle was a middle aged man who was so busy that he barely had time to notice most of the things going on in his home. It wasn't like he had a white collar job, but his salary was just enough to cater for his family. Most times he had to travel out of the state for weeks.

Adekunle cleared his throat.
"Grace, I have high expectations for you this year as always. Anything you need in school, don't hesitate to tell me." Grace had always made him proud since day one. He knew he didn't need to say much about her case. He wished his own daughter was like her even if it was a little bit. "By the way, go and check the box I came back with in my room. There is a new school bag I bought for you. I remember you told me that you needed a new one." He added.

Grace's face brightened.
"Thank you Uncle."

"Call your cousin on your way there. Is it that she hasn't heard that I'm back?"

"Feranmi went to the salon to braid her hair." Doyin spoke.

"Oh, for school tomorrow." Adekunle nodded. "What about you and this your seven years grown hair you're so proud of?" He was referring to Grace.

Grace opened her mouth to speak.

"She has plans too." Doyin answered for her.

"I see. Go along then." Adekunle dismisses her, oblivious to what was going on.

Grace wondered why her aunt said she had plans. If she decided to speak, she would be dead meat because one thing Doyin hated was Grace making her look like a liar- which she was- in front of her husband.

Grace just turned and walked away.
She had plans. What plans?

It wasn't until later that night that she understood what Doyin meant.

For the first time in a long time, someone was tapping her to wake up. She slowly opened her eyes. She was surprised to see Doyin in her room. She strained her eyes to look outside. The sun was setting which meant it was still evening.

"Charity case, go and have your bath before your body will start itching you."
And with that, she left.

Grace was really confused. Why would her body itch her? Then she felt her body. Her hands' movements stopped when she felt something. Suddenly, she began to feel air on her head. She sat up immediately and her eyes caught all the strands of hair on the bed.

Shit!

A/N
First chapter guys ❤️❤️❤️❤️