Chapter Twenty-Nine

Sebastian

I stared at my grandparents, unable to move. I hadn't seen them since my grandpa told me to get out of his house four years ago. But, despite not seeing them since then and only seeing their backs now, they looked exactly the same.

Grandma wore her typical flower print dress, with a matching pink clip in her short, gray hair. Grandpa was wearing his khakis pulled up too high over his waist, with his light blue polo tucked into it. He no longer had any hair on his head, but I wasn't too surprised by that, since it was thinning really badly the last time I saw him.

I looked back at Alex. I had no clue what to do. I needed to go over there and say something, but my mouth was too dry and there were no words to say.

Alex leaned over and whispered in my ear, "If you want to hide in the back, I'll get rid of them for you."

I let out a small laugh. But before I could even consider that as an option, my grandmother turned around, spotting me.

"Sebastian!" she called, which made my grandpa also look over. She smiled widely, walking towards me with her arms spread, as if she were about to come give me a hug. Like she hadn't kicked me out of her house four years ago and hadn't spoken to me since.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice coming out a lot harsher than I intended it to.

She dropped her arms to her side, her smile faultering. It was my grandpa who spoke, though. "You've done a good job with this place."

I didn't need their pride now. I needed them to be my family and my support system when I started this. It was too late for them to act like they were proud of me.

"What are you doing here?" I repeated.

Grandma took a small step forward. "What happened to your arm, Seb?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, getting angry. "You're not answering my question. What are you doing here?"

She sighed, shaking her head slowly. "I've... We've missed you."

"You're the one who told me not to come back if I threw my money into this place."

"I told you he wouldn't appreciate us showing up like this," Grandpa whispered loudly.

"The truth is," Grandma said, ignoring her husband's comment. "Your Uncle Louis passed away."

The one who accused me of lying when I tried telling him my dad planned the car accident. "Why are you telling me?" I glanced over at Alex, but realized he was gone. He must have went into the back to give us privacy. I was grateful, but part of me wished he was still here next to me.

She gave me a small smile, taking another step toward me. "I've buried two of my children already, and your mother and brother. I couldn't stand the thought of you being out in the world alone any longer. I know it was a mistake to give you that ultimatum back then. That's on us and we'll never be able to make up for it. But I wanted to come today to ask for your forgiveness. I love you, Sebastian, we both do. We don't want to miss any more of your life."

I lowered my arms to my side, no longer as angry as I was a moment ago. I could tell she was being sincere. Grandpa too, although he still hadn't said all that much. I just wished someone else didn't have to die for them to realize what I meant to them.

"I have a boyfriend," I said. I hadn't come out to anyone in my family. But if they wanted me back in their lives, they'd have to accept the fact that Alex was part of my life. I was pansexual. I wasn't going to hide that from them just so that I could have some family back.

"We'd love to meet him," Grandpa said with his own smile that showed off his perfectly straight dentures. "If you want us back in your life."

I let out a small laugh. "You actually already did, kind of. Hold on a sec."

Turning around, I went into the back. Daniella was alone in the office, typing away at the computer. Instead of bothering her, I walked into the cat room, where I found Alex.

I stopped in the doorway, realizing he was holding Thing Two in his arms. I had never seen him willingly hold any of the animals here. Seeing them together made my heart melt.

He looked up at me. "Did they leave? Or... my offer still stands to get rid of them, if you'd like."

I smiled. "I love you," I blurted. Before he could respond, I crossed the small room and planted my lips on his. Thing Two started climbing onto my shoulder, so I broke the kiss, taking her from his arms. "I know we haven't been together all that long," I said, stepping back. "But it's true. I love you."

"I love you, too."

With Thing Two sitting on my shoulder, I grabbed Alex's hand with my good one. I had no words to say, having been overcome by an intense amount of happiness that he loved me back. So I didn't say anything as I led him back to the front, where my grandparents were waiting. 

I was nervous, but I wanted to do this. I had never introduced a significant other to any of my family before, mostly because I never really had one before Alex. But this was even harder to do, since I hadn't seen my grandparents in so long. And they just found out I was into guys.

When we stepped into the main room, Alex almost pulled his hand away from mine. I tightened my grip and looked over at him. "I want them to meet you," I said quietly.

"You sure?"

I nodded and he relaxed his hand in mine. I was doing this. I wanted to do this.

Grandma was already smiling at us when we walked over. "You must be the boyfriend, then," she said. "I'm Mary Ann, this is my husband, Bill."

"I'm Alex. It's nice to meet you."

As they fell into easy conversation, I knew that things were going to be okay. My grandparents wanted me back in their lives. My boyfriend loved me and I loved him.

For so long, people kept leaving. But now, other people are coming into my life. Maybe things were finally looking up. Maybe I didn't have to be so alone anymore.

Thing Two started getting antsy on my shoulder, and I moved her to my arms. The movement caught my grandpa's attention. While Alex and Grandma talked, Grandpa pointed at the kitten.

"That's a cute little thing you got there."

I smiled. "She's a handful, though. I've been calling her Thing Two. Her brother, Thing One, is still in the back."

"Mary Ann, look at this kitten."

Grandma stopped what she was saying and immediately wanted to hold Thing Two. I let her. "She is just the cutest thing," Grandma gushed. "We did tell that woman on the phone this morning we were interested in getting a cat. What do you think, Bill? Think we can take home this little one?"

I laughed, shaking my head. "I've been trying to adopt her out with her brother. The two of them are almost inseperable. But I still have their mother here, too. Just as pretty and much less of a handful."

Grandma handed me Thing Two back and I led them all to the cat room. As I suspected, they both immediately fell in love with Midnight.

As my grandparents got to know Midnight a bit, Alex pulled me off to the side. "You doing okay?" he asked quietly.

I nodded. "Yeah, actually. I'm more than okay."

He gently caressed my cheek. "I have a question for you. Would you like to move in with me?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Don't you still live in a dorm room on campus? With a roommate?"

"But I'm dropping out. Jason can't move off campus or else he loses his scholarship. So I'll be apartment hunting for the summer. So what do you say? You and me? In a place with no mice? Maybe an actual bedroom with a door on it?"

The more he talked, the wider I smiled. Everything he was saying sounded perfect.

I leaned over and kissed him gently. "I would love to move in with you."