Chapter Five

Sebastian

Thing Two bounced across the floor, following a little plastic ball. I laughed as she got it stuck underneath the cabinet and I pulled it out for her.

Usually the kittens were absolute nightmares. It was a rare moment to have her playing like this, probably because her brother, Thing One, was fast asleep in their little bed. Their mother, Midnight, sat up in her cage, watching the two of us. I wanted to let her come down and play too, but I was afraid I'd end up waking Thing One in the process.

We got Midnight almost a year ago, left by the front door in the middle of the night. Since she was an all black cat, I felt it fitting to name her Midnight. It soon became obvious that she was pregnant with kittens. Things One and Two were the only ones we haven't adopted out yet.

"Don't you got friends?" a voice asked from behind me.

I spun myself around on the dirty tile floor and looked up at Daniella, the one person working here as long as I have. She was a heavier-set, dark-skinned woman only a few years older than me and one of the nicest people I had ever met. The only problem I had with her was her insistence on me getting a social life. Not a day went by that she didn't make some sort of comment.

Before I had a chance to answer, she shot me a look. "Don't you dare say those cats. I'm talking human friends."

Thing Two had started chewing on my shoelace. Why didn't cats count? We were friends! Thing Two loved me! Thing One on the other hand... lets just say I was really glad he was napping.

"I... I do. I have friends."

"You better not say me, boy. You know I don't count. I'm talking 'bout friends you see outside this place."

I signed, leaning up against the wall. I didn't know what to say. We both knew she was right.

"Really, Sebastian?" Daniella asked. "You really gonna sit there and say you ain't got nobody?"

"You don't have to make me feel bad about it. So what? I have this place. It's all I need."

People were hard. Why bother trying to make connections with people when they'd all end up leaving me anyway? Everyone else had. I had yet to find an exception. Even Daniella and the others who worked at the shelter wouldn't last forever. I learned a long time ago not to get my hopes up when it came to people.

She sighed, crossing the room to pick up Thing Two. "Go home, Sebastian. You've been here all day."

I stood up slowly, shaking my head. "But I still need to clean out the cats' cages. Change their litter. Take the dogs out for their walks. Everyone still needs their dinner. There's too much I need to do."

I went to open Midnight's cage, but Daniella stopped me. "Don't you dare," she said, adjusting Thing Two in her arms as the kitten tried her hardest to get down. "We got this, Sebastion. Go home."

With a sigh, I gave in. It didn't matter how much I argued, I was never going to win. I knew that, but part of me still hoped that one day, she'd let me stay here. And it's not like I was staying just for the overtime. I clocked out when I was supposed to. So what if I stayed a few more hours to help out? The animals needed me.

But I knew she was right. She and Mike could handle everything tonight. They were both just as dedicated as I was - okay, maybe not as much. Definitely dedicated, though. Everyone who worked here was. That's why we all applied in the first place.

When I walked into the front room, I expected to see Mike. Instead, it was that guy who was playing with Apollo the other day. His back was to me as he faced the dog cages. I really should figure out his name if he was going to keep coming in...

"Hey," I said, walking over.

He turned. "Hey. Uh... What happened to Apollo?"

I looked around him to see that the cage was empty. His leash was gone too. "He must be out on his walk. I'm sure Mike will be back any minute with him." I glanced out the front door, but saw no sign of anyone. "I guess you're here to hang out with him again?"

He shrugged. "Yeah, if that's alright."

"Of course." Gracie Lou let out a short bark for attention and I reached my finger into the cage. "You better not bite me," I told her. Moments later, her teeth were in my skin. "Dammit, Gracie," I hissed, pulling my finger away. "You'll never find a home if you keep doing that."

"Sebastian!" Daniella called from the back room. "Go home already!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm going!" I called back. "Sorry," I said to the guy, who looked a bit uncomfortable. "Apparently, I've been here way too long today and I need to stop working. But feel free to hang out until Mike and Apollo get back. Mike shouldn't give you a hard time about hanging out with Apollo but, if he does, just tell him I said it was okay."

He shook his head. "Nah, it's fine." He shifted his weight onto the other foot, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. There were a ton of pen marks on his hand and arm, like he had been doodling on himself. "I should, uh, I should get going anyway, I guess. It's fine."

"What are you still doing - oh, hello."

I turned to see Daniella walking into the room. She smiled at the guy, coming over to us. "What can I help you with? Sebastian's off the clock for the night."

"Oh, no. I-"

She gasped, cutting him off. "You're not here specifically for Sebastian, are you?" She smacked my arm. "Why didn't you tell me you do have a friend?" Before either of us could protest, she was forcing us out of the building. "You boys shouldn't be stuck in here. Go out and do something. It's a nice day out!"

Within seconds, we were both standing on the sidewalk staring at each other. I was so embarrassed, I wished I could just curl up into a ball and die.