Chapter Twenty-Eight

Alex

"You doing okay?" I asked.

Sebastian was still breathing heavy, but he nodded. "Yeah. That was good. That was really good."

I rolled over so that I was right up against him again. "You were great." I then closed the rest of the distance between us and kissed him. Granted, I could tell he was inexperienced, but I was sure, with some practice, our sex was going to go from great to amazing in no time.

Sebastian's phone rang loudly. He broke the kiss with a sigh.

"Don't answer it," I whispered, kissing his cheek.

He shook his head. "Only Daniella would call this early, which means something's going on at the shelter. She wouldn't call if it wasn't important."

Reaching over me, he grabbed his phone. He stayed sitting up as he answered it.

I trailed my fingers over his thigh as I listened to his half of the conversation.

"Can't you do it?" he asked. "Did they leave a name? ... I've talked to a lot of people about those cats. You or Mike could definitely help them. Why does it have to be me?" He sighed, quickly checking the time on his phone. "Fine. I'll be there in an hour."

"Really?" I asked. I knew it was his job, his entire life. But now? Of all times?

He shook his head, reaching over me again to grab his glasses. "Apparently someone asked for me by name. Wanted to come in as early as possible today to talk to me about the cats. I have no clue why they need me personally."

I planted a light kiss on his leg. "Maybe because they know how great you are."

He shook his head again, a blush creeping along his cheeks. "That's not true."

I sat up. "Of course it is. Anybody who has ever walked into that shelter can know immediately how much you care about the animals there."

"Until I find them a home, they don't have anyone else."

I got to spend a lot of time with Sebastian while he worked this week. He said he felt bad about all the times he went in, since I was here and we could have been doing anything else. But I loved watching him work. I meant what I said: he radiates love for those animals in a way I'd never seen before. It was even strong enough for him to presuade me into holding the kittens a few times, which I was starting to enjoy.

"I need to shower," Sebastian said, sliding off the bed.

I got up with him. "Can I join you? You did make a mess all over me. It's only fair."

He laughed. "Sure. But I told Daniella I'd be in soon, so it has to be a quick shower, okay?"

About forty minutes later, we were walking into Sebastian's animal shelter. I chose to come with him, since I had a feeling he was going to end up staying a lot longer than just to help the one customer. I didn't want to wait around for him or make him think he needed to get back to his apartment as quickly as possible just for me. Besides, I had come to the realization that I liked hanging out with the animals. I may not love them like Sebastian does, but I was getting used to being around them. I also got to spend extra time with Sebastian, which was always a bonus.

There was no one in the front room, aside from the dogs. Gracie Lou snarled at me as soon as I walked in, which wasn't surprising. I doubted she'd ever like me. Snickers, on the other hand, was shy, but friendly towards everyone. Someone had dropped her off a couple days ago, and Sebastian couldn't stop talking about her when he got back to his apartment that day.

Sebastian went right for the back office, looking for Daniella. I walked over to the dog kennels, planning on saying hi to Snickers.

She was a corgi mix, from what Sebastian told me, and very pregnant. She was laying down and, when I knelt in front of her, she started wagging her tail lightly.

I was trying to get her to come a little closer so that I might be able to pet her when the front door open. I glanced up to see an elderly couple walking in. They looked to be in their late sixties or so, wearing really nice clothes to come look at some animals.

"Hello," the woman said to me. "I'm looking for Sebastian? I was told he'd be here this morning."

So this was the woman who dragged us out of bed. I nodded, standing up. "He's in the back. Let me grab him for you."

The door to the office was slightly ajar and I knocked on the doorframe before pushing it open. Sebastian was sitting on the desk, whispering something to Daniella, who was sitting at the desk chair. They both looked at me when I walked in, Sebastian's face turning bright red when he saw me standing there. I had a strong feeling they had been talking about me.

"Uh... Seb, your customers are here."

He jumped off the desk, then grabbed a water bottle off it and took a big drink from it. His blush was fading, so I didn't bother pointing it out. "Okay, thanks."

I went to follow him out of the office, but Daniella stopped me. She had stood up, her arms crossed over her chest. "That boy doesn't have anybody. You hurt him and you're dead."

I'm sure all the colored drained from my face. "I would never. I love him."

Before she could say anything else, I turned and quickly followed Sebastian. I didn't need to know what other threats she had for me.

I found Sebastian only a couple steps into the main room, frozen in place. The elderly couple had their backs to us, looking at the dogs, but Sebastian wasn't going anywhere near them.

"What's wrong?" I asked him quietly.

He shook his head. "Those are my grandparents."