Chapter Six

Alex

As soon as the door shut behind us, Sebastian's face turned bright red. He opened his mouth, but no words came out, so he quickly closed it.

I felt awkward. I had never been kicked out of anywhere before, and definitely not with the purpose of having fun. Although, if I'm to be honest, that woman reminded me a whole lot of Jason.

So that's what I said, to break the silence between us. "She kinda reminds me of my roommate," I said with a small laugh. "He's always telling me to go have a social life."

"Really?" He looked almost relieved to hear me say that. "I am so sorry about her, though. She's..." He sighed. "She's something else, that's for sure."

Just then, I spotted Apollo, tugging harshly against his leash that some man was holding. Within seconds, they were standing next to us and Apollo was pressing his body up against my leg. I reached down to pet him as Sebastian spoke.

"Hey, Mike," he said. "I got kicked out for the night, but can you bring Apollo right into the meet and greet room? He's gonna have a play date." He smiled up at me when he said that.

I quickly shook my head. "No, it's fine, really. I have a ton of homework I need to be doing anyway."

To be perfectly honest, I think part of me didn't want to be there is Sebastian wasn't. There was something about him that intrigued me. Plus the fact that he was attractive didn't help. I had just wanted to come here and get my mind off Simon, but I didn't want to do that with someone I didn't know at all. Apparently, I just wanted to do that with someone I barely knew.

"You sure, man?" the other guy, Mike, asked. "You can."

How many times did I have to say no? "Really, it's okay," I said. "Thanks though."

Thankfully, he didn't argue any further, bringing Apollo back inside the shelter. But that just left Sebastian and me alone again. The longer we stood there, the more awkward I felt.

"Well, I guess I should head back to campus," I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck with my hand. I always seemed to do that whenever I was nervous or uncomfortable. Dad was always telling me to stop doing it, but it was a habit I couldn't seem to break.

I felt bad just leaving Sebastian, especially if it was true that he didn't have any friends. But I didn't have the time to make a new friend right now. I barely even had the time to come down to the animal shelter every few days just to play with Apollo. If my dad called me again while I was anywhere but doing homework, I'd be so dead.

He nodded, but there was something in his face that made me think he didn't want to be alone. "Yeah, I gotta get home anyway. And feed my... plant."

I held back a laugh. It was clear that he was lying, so it shouldn't have been funny. But the notion of feeding a plate human food couldn't seem to get out of my head. "Um, speaking of food," I started. "I still need to eat dinner. And, since we're both apparently lonely individuals, do you want to go get something to eat?"

"Oh, uh..."

"Not as a date or anything," I said quickly. "Just someone to keep us company for a little bit." I hoped he didn't think I was asking him out. As attractive as he was, I didn't have the time to invest in a relationship and I doubted he'd be into guys anyway.

He hesitated another moment before nodding his head. "Alright, sure. Why not?" He glanced around, like he was looking for something. "There's a little Mexican place down the road, if you like that? Or we can find some other place?"

I smiled. "Mexican works." It was actually one of my favorite types, so I was glad he suggested it first. "Which way?"

Sebastian gestured to the right and the two of us started walking. I suddenly felt very awkward, walking next to him in silence. I didn't know what to say and he wasn't saying anything either. Did I make it awkward by bringing up the fact that it's not a date? Maybe he wasn't even thinking about it that way and I made it weird.

Does he think I'm gay now? Well, I mean, he'd be right. But still. Does the fact bother him at all? Is that why he wasn't saying anything?

My stomach churned angrily and I fought the urge to turn around and run straight back to campus. I was fine. He was fine. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have suggested a place to go.

"Are you okay?" Sebastian asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I looked over at him as we stopped at an intersection. There was more concern in his expression than I would have expected. Maybe I looked worse than I thought I did.

"Uh, yeah," I said, nodding quickly. "Sorry, just thinking, I guess."

"You know, I was thinking too." The walk signal appeared and we started walking again. "I realized I never got your name."

I barked out a short laugh, unable to help myself. It was funny that I've known his name for a couple weeks now, but I never gave him mine. "It's Alex."

He nodded. "Alex, okay. Cool." He paused for a second. "I'm Sebastian."

I smiled. "I know. But it's nice to officially meet you. Sebastian."

Maybe he didn't assume the worst of me after all. Maybe all that worrying was for nothing. And maybe, just maybe, it would be nice having another friend.