Bad Days and Birthday Surprises

Começar do início

"What's up?" He asks with a concerned tone. He puts his hand on my arm in a comforting manor. I pick up my head and rest my chin on my arms so I can look up at Michael.

"I'm having a bad day."

"I'm sorry, babe." He frowns. "I'm sure it'll get better."

"I hope so," I mumble. The teacher starts talking so I sit up and turn around.

"We will be starting a new project this next week-" a few people groan, myself included- "and you will work in groups of two. I will allow some groups of three if necessary. Now, before you all hate me, you are allowed to choose your own groups. Figure out who you're working with and I'll hand out the packet." I immediately turn back around to face Michael who is already grinning at me.

"I told you things would get better."

The teacher eventually comes around and gives us each a packet with the details. Michael and I look over the packet and mutually agree that it's not that difficult. He starts writing his name on the front and pauses when he gets to the date.

"What's the date again?"

"The 17th," I say without having to think twice, it is my birthday after all. Michael nods as he writes it down, slightly pausing when he's done.

"Oh that reminds me I forgot to tell you something." I feel a smile start to form on my face. Maybe he finally realized that it's my birthday. "I can't drive you home after school. My moms need me for something."

"Oh. Okay." My smile quickly drops and my shoulders slump. I look down at the packet at start reading it. Well, I'm trying to read it, but I can't seem to focus on it. Michael puts his hand on top of mine causing me to look at him.

"I promise I'll make it up to you, okay?" I nod at him, wanting the topic to be dropped. "You can ask Jeremy for a ride, I'm sure he'll say yes."

"I guess. Can we start working on this now?"

~~~~~

Today sucks slightly less. My last teacher put a Happy Birthday pencil on my desk. It was nice to know that someone remembered, even if they didn't say it directly to me. But not even my friends remember. I haven't received any texts or social media mentions.

I walk into the locker room attached to the gym and put my backpack down in the floor in front of my locker. I put in the combination and open the locker, taking out a spare shirt I leave in here for emergencies. While this isn't an emergency, I don't want to get Michael's hoodie sweaty while Jake and I play basketball. I quickly change into the t-shirt and head out into the gym.

"Jakey-D!" I greet him, initiating our handshake.

"Wassup, bro?" He passes me a basketball and I start dribbling it, warming up.

"Nothing much. I'm having a bit of a shit day, but what can I do about it?" I shrug as I shoot the ball at the basket. It hits the backboard before falling right into the hoop.

"Well it can't be that shitty if you still have game. Let's go 1v1 right now. First to 10 wins."

"Bet."

Our game starts of fairly even; every time he would get a point, I got one immediately after. It wasn't until we both had 5 points that something within me kicked in and I took the lead 5-9. Just a few minutes later I fake him out and make my last 3-pointer shot.

"I fucking owned you!" I exclaim. Jake laughs at me as he spins the basketball on his finger.

"Nice game, Goranski, but I declare a rematch a-sap."