Chapter 32: My tears ricochet

"You."

How could I have been so stupid?

Of course, it's him.

It's been him since the day he came over asking for lamps. 

As the time capsule plays in my head, my shaking hand drops my phone to the floor. He knew that we were going to LA. He knew that we were going to break in to get the mannequins. He was there during Logan's party. That night when I got out of jail, he was there. He was there all along.

And then, I start to remember that he's British, his sister is dead - His sister is Celeste. Fuck. 

Sawyer's hands tie my hands with a rope.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to figure out. Only Noah was smart enough to find me first."

My lungs contract, making it difficult to breathe. "No! You promised that you wouldn't involve Noah in this! Where is he?! What did you do to him?!"

But as I continue my uncontrollable shouts, he doesn't react. He just pushes me inside a small room. When he opens the door, a sudden dread hits my core.

The room is filled with my pictures and Noah's. The entire walls are covered from top to bottom with our faces: during our runs, at Ayla's, in Vegas, in my house. There are pictures of us sleeping, eating, laughing.

There's a wall that is entirely covered with Noah's pictures. Pictures of him leaving the shower, talking to Jade, in his room- I can't see anymore. I close my eyes, wanting this nightmare to be over.

"You're a fucking psycho," I spit.

But then, amid all this insane chaos, I spot Noah. He's tied to a chair as well. His clothes are torn, he has bruises all over, his face- Oh my God. He's unconscious!

"What did you do to him?!" I scream as I lunge forward. But I'm tied down, I can't move. I have never felt so helpless before.

Sawyer smirks before sitting right in front of me. I do the first thing that comes to mind: spit in his face.

His face slowly shifts from shock to another fucking smirk. "If it makes you feel better, I intended to honor the promise that I made to you. But, Noah found me first."

"What?!"

He nods. "The guy is smart, I've got to give him that. He came here an hour ago, and of course, I couldn't let him go. I hope you understand."

I literally can't believe that he's so calm about everything. He beat a guy, tied me down, and has been stalking us for the past, what? Two years?!

"You're insane." My lips are trembling.

"And you are going to talk."

I let out a sarcastic laugh. "Or what? You're gonna kill me?"

And then, he turns to Noah and punches him in the stomach. I scream. But Noah, he just coughs up some blood.

"No, but I will kill him. In fact, let's play a game. For every lie that comes out of your mouth, I punch him. Sounds fun, right?"

I shake my head, swallowing my tears. "What do you want, Sawyer?"

"The truth about how you killed my sister."

"I didn't kill her." But then he starts to walk towards Noah, and I shout, "No! No, wait! Please, wait. I promise I'll talk!"

"Good girl. Let's start from the beginning."

Tears blur down my vision as I replay that night in my head. "It was an accident. I wasn't even going to the party that Logan threw, but I forgot my phone in his room. That's why I went back."