Chapter 4: Falling into place

"DADAAA"

The single word hung in the air, sending shockwaves through me as if someone had bolted me to the wooden bench. Never in a million years did I anticipate Maya saying something so significant to someone she'd met just hours ago.

If it weren't for the fact that he was a complete stranger, perhaps I wouldn't have been so utterly stunned.

Struggling to compose myself, I attempted to mask my surprise, though my efforts fell short.

"Baby, he's not your daddy." I interjected, hoping to redirect Maya's attention to me. When I finally caught her gaze, I continued, "You can't call someone your dad, especially someone you've just met."

Maya's eyes welled up with tears, tugging at my heartstrings. Every fiber of my being ached knowing how much she longed for a father, even at her tender age.

Upon hearing my words, Ryan seemed to gather his thoughts and stepped in. "It's okay. She's still just a little girl. She probably mistook me for her father."

I couldn't help but wonder what prompted her to say it. Was she comfortable enough with him to use that term, or did she genuinely believe he was her father?

The situation baffled me. We'd never discussed her father around her, so how had she come to know that word, let alone use it with Ryan?

Observing Ryan tenderly cradle Maya in his arms, gently stroking her chubby cheek, I couldn't deny the affection he showed toward her, much like everyone else who had the pleasure of meeting her.

"I am sorry. She didn't mistake you for her father as she never had one. I really don't know why she said it. I am so deeply sorry."

"Hey, it's okay, really. You don't need to apologize to me. I can only imagine how hard it was raising a child on your own."

By now, Maya had managed to calm down in Ryan's arms as he gently caressed her cheek. She resumed her babbling, her attention drawn back to Blue licking his paw.

"Thank you. It indeed was hard, but there isn't anything in this world that I wouldn't do for her. From the start, she was a very good child, hardly ever cried, and didn't need to be carried all the time like most babies do."

"I can see that. She is such a beautiful baby. She looks so much like you."

Did he just indirectly say that I look beautiful? I can feel him still looking at me.

My cheeks flushed with redness, making me feel shy.

Not knowing what to say, I pretended I didn't notice anything, quickly changing the topic.

"To be completely honest, I wasn't completely alone. My parents helped whenever they could. And I have a very close friend who also tried to help out as much as she could."

"It's a good thing to have support around you. I can see that these people care very deeply about you."

"They made sure that I know that. The three of them are the most important people in my life, along with Maya," I said, smiling contentedly.

"You mentioned that Maya doesn't have a father. I know I am probably going too far by asking this question, but I am gonna ask anyway. You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"Okay, go ahead."

I already knew what he was about to ask. Answering this question always brought back painful memories, scars etched deep in my mind.

"Where is her father?" Ryan's question hung in the air, and I sensed the shift in my mood.

Perhaps noticing my discomfort, he quickly added, "Please, don't feel pressured to answer my question. I just asked out of curiosity, but I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable."