Chapter Twenty: Conflicting

Start from the beginning

Shinnok flicks his wrist, and flames ignite to the right of Quan Chi who frowns and crosses his arms. From these flames ascends Ashrah, with a rather cautious expression on her face.

"You! You shall travel to Earthrealm and retrieve Mileena, for she trusts your treacherous flesh more than any other specter!" he harshly commands her.

Ashrah peers at the fallen Elder God with anger.

"She may be located near the Wu Shi Academy, for that is where the emperor plans to send his next invasion unit," Quan Chi suggests.

"I shall not. She aided you and you turned your back on her like you have many others. Who's to say you would not do such to I?" Ashrah retaliates.

At these words Shinnok levitates off of his throne and comes face to face with her. He draws his hand back and strikes her across the cheek, forcefully bringing her to the ground. Ashrah catches herself with her hands and knees. She grunts and peers upward at Shinnok with spiteful eyes as she brings a caressing hand to her face.

"You shall go through with every order I give you! I would hate to see your soul burn to dust," he threatens her.

"Do what you must," she spits in reply.

"Or perhaps your sister's soul..." he grins deviously. "It's always the ones we keep closest to us that we cherish more than ourselves."

Ashrah's eyes widen. Her sister, who also is apart of the Brotherhood of Shadow, is not a specter. She is a mere soulless, docile oni, ever since she slayed her. Her sister's soul shall be forever lost should she not comply. Ashrah is placed into a tough predicament.

"Alright...I shall retrieve Mileena..." she regrets her words.

"Splendid, now off you go," he flicks his wrists in a circular motion, opening a portal to Earthrealm behind Ashrah. "Once you return her, the Enenra will be lured back to this realm on his own. While we capture the two and prepare the spell, you shall aid the emperor's invasion, for his mere henchmen could not possibly hope to defeat the champions of Earthrealm. It is time we place a foothold in Outworld before we take it for ourselves."

Ashrah takes to her feet slowly as Quan Chi uses his sorcery to summon Kia, Jataaka and Sareena. They come to his side and bow to he and Shinnok graciously.

"My lovelies, you shall enter Outworld and aid the emperor in his quest as well. Once Earthrealm falls, Outworld will be left vulnerable. We shall recapture the lost specters and the time to strike shall arise," Quan Chi commands his trio.

Shinnok opens another portal to Outworld for them just before he turns to Quan Chi.

"Begin the incantation Quan Chi, for once Ashrah returns, we shall be free of this realm forever," Shinnok commands.

The warriors walk through their designated portals, following the directions given to them as Quan Chi begins to chant. His hands begin to glow as he begins the lengthy incantation to set Shinnok's plans in motion.

IN THE SKY TEMPLE

Mileena and Smoke exited the Jinsei chamber and now walk through the sky temple. Many rooms they pass by as they continue down a dim torch lit corridor contain objects of worship made of gold and silver. Monks are seen praying and some civilians are even resting. Other rooms are empty or the doors are shut. Mileena leads Smoke as she begins to somewhat pick up the pace.

"I just do not understand. How do you plan to quell the emperor?" he questions as he follows her lead.

"I shall find a way. I must first be sure that I can unmerge Edenia and Vaeternus," she replies.