Chapter Five: Old Hatreds

~Mileena's POV~

Darkness falls around me as I drop onto the cliff from the portal Noob Saibot opened for me. I was on this very cliff when I last laid eyes on Scorpion. I must find him again. There is something about this memory that I cannot let go of. He spoke to me as if there was another purpose of my being in the tournament. Not only that but, he spoke as if he already knew me.

I peer around the gates of his lair as I proceed closer to them. The torches burn low this devious noon in this devious realm. Cracks in the ground reveal magma waiting to join the fountains of lava near the other cliffs. I approach on guard, for the specter from what I have gathered seems rather unstable.

I place my hand on the gate of his lair slowly. Suddenly, I hear what sounds like a chain travel through the air, ripping through the winds heavily. I turn swiftly, only to find Scorpion's signature kunai flying towards me, and he no more than twenty feet away. I pace to the left and dodge it quickly as it travels through his lair doors, getting caught in the wide door frame.

Seems I was correct about his unstable being. The anger within his eyes is evident, causing me to tense up and be ready for anything. If anyone knows anything about being unpredictable, it is I. He vanishes in flame before my eyes and in what seems like seconds, he is in front of me with a sword drawn to my throat and his kunai back in his possession.

"What is it that you want?!" he threatens more than asks.

If it were not for the information I seek from him and Shinnok's need of him, his flesh would already be between my teeth. I can feel his body heat radiating off of him as well as his inner anger. It is much like what I feel for Kitana. How foolish I was to believe we could have ever truly been family. I shall eventually have her head along with Jade's.

"To begin with, aim another weapon at me and whether Shinnok approves or not, I will rip out your undead heart," I warn, tipping his blade to the side.

He swiftly returns his blade to my neck, clenching the grip.

"You murder me? I am already dead!" he replies spitefully.

I grin at this. It is almost like gazing into a mirror speaking to him. I walk past his sword, coming mere inches away from him, peering directly into those soulless eyes that used to be so full of life. He seems to get angrier as I do this.

"I came here for a revelation. The day of the tournament many years ago...you told me I was a huge asset in the tournament, but that I did not know why. What was that reason?" I question, becoming stern.

His angry glare slightly eases.

"Hmph, you do not even realize I was warning you of your soon nonexistence. Pathetic," his words seep in as he stands straight, sheathing his sword on his back.

"What do you mean warning?" I question, now becoming angry, looking up into his orbs.

"I shared a similar fate. I perished in order to become this cursed being I am today. I witnessed my family and clan being slaughtered before me just before accepting my own demise. Quan Chi foresaw your petty death just as he did mine. I somewhat pitied you and attempted to warn you. Now I see why you were easily murdered."

I feel my Tarkatan blood rush through me as I try and restrain myself from attacking. I can feel my eyes diverting back and forth from their true orange nature to these white orbs I have adopted from Shinnok's sorcery. My Tarkatan teeth urge to come out and rip into his warm skin, causing me to let out a slight growl. I should have known that was the reason...Scorpion showing mercy? That is not him. I just reminded him of his very own demise that day and happened to get his useless pity. He knew my demise would come eventually in the tournament whether by Kitana's hand or not. Which also proves...Shinnok does want me here for his own advantages.