Chapter Three: Old Bonds

Smoke and Sub-Zero tread through the living forest, nearing the forest's exit. The trees face the two warriors in hunger, yearning to feast on any form of life in their sight. The orange moon shines slightly brighter on the realm this night, reflecting in the sais that are sheathed on Smoke's back.

Smoke's eyes wander as they both proceed to walk. He takes in all of his surroundings as Sub-Zero increases his pace slightly, which catches Smoke's attention. Smoke also increases his pace to keep up, but notices the sound of more than just their feet hitting the terrain.

"Hm? Perhaps I am too alert," Smoke thinks.

Smoke keeps walking, following Sub-Zero's lead. The sounds of crickets raid the forest. Smoke makes eye contact with a body suspending from a tree's vine. The body slowly rocks back and forth as blood drops off the tip of his toe, landing on the ground silently. He and Sub-Zero walk in front of the body. Smoke examines it without becoming alarmed, but staying observant.

"That blood seems to be fresh..." Smoke adds to his thoughts.

The low footstep noise keeps finding its way back to Smoke's ears as they come to the forest's exit.

"So we are being followed." Smoke finalizes.

He slows his pace and lessens his noise with each step, listening out for the intruding sound again. He slowly brings a hand to a dagger, being sure not to alert Sub-Zero yet in case it's a false alarm. With one fluent motion, he rotates and throws his dagger fiercely in the direction of the unknown disturbance.

The dagger travels through the air at an alarming rate. It strikes what appears to be nothing, yet sparks appear in the air as if it made impact with metal. Sub-Zero turns rapidly after hearing the sound of this and a robotic machine appears before their eyes. Smoke takes a few steps back.

"The Lin Kuei," Sub-Zero states while getting into his stance.

Several other cyber ninjas appear, surrounding them. One of the cybernetic ninjas approach calmly. His blue and silver appearance appears familiar to Sub-Zero. The ninja's hands start to glow a shade of blue momentarily as a small sphere of water forms in each. Sub-Zero's eyes widen.

"It can't be..." Sub-Zero thinks. "Hydro?" Sub-Zero recognizes his old friend.

Smoke also sees the resemblance, but stays focused on the other surrounding cyber ninjas as well.

"I am unit LK1V1. Tundra, Smoke, you are to return with us immediately to undergo your transformation and initiation to the Cyber Initiative," the bot announces.

"We will do no such thing!" Smoke shouts.

"You shall return with us, regardless of your objections. Lin Kuei, attack!"

The bots run for Smoke and Sub-Zero. Smoke goes left, delivering a straight kick to one bot and an elbow to another. The impact of hitting the metal slightly irks him, but he ignores the pain as he counters another Tekunin to his right. Sub-Zero uses his ice to freeze the approaching Tekunins' feet in place before sliding to them quickly, shielding the ground in pure rime as he crushes the circuits in their legs.

Hydro approaches Sub-Zero swiftly, attempting to send a high kick to his cranium. He succeeds, sending Sub-Zero back a few steps. Smoke takes note of this and attempts to rush to his aid, defeating the other Tekunin with his vapor attacks as he proceeds to his ally's side. Sub-Zero dodges, just avoiding the icy waters of Hydro's attack. He forms a small kori blade in his hand and swiftly approaches Hydro, impaling his chest circuits with it. Hydro sends a jab back in retaliation, striking Sub-Zero's upper jaw.