Chapter 51

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE 

Momentarily glancing away from the bright light, Lilly spotted a vision in white climbing through the destroyed wreck of the pyramid. Her breath caught in her mouth as she watched Calliope tiptoeing quietly along with tears pouring down her immaculate face. She was wearing a beautiful ivory dress, a wedding dress, which twinkled in the night light. 

Suddenly, others began to notice the vision and soon, Calliope was surrounded by all the people of Powell River. Those with guns aimed them towards her head. 

But she took no notice of what was happening. Instead, she simply sat down on her wrecked throne and continued to sob uncontrollably. 

"Calliope," shouted Carmelo. "We know they are going to kill you. We know you don't want to be their sacrifice. We know you haven't always agreed with those you call your brothers and sisters," he continued loudly, approaching her. "We also know you haven't exactly harmed any of us. Not really. I believe you want to help us. If you do, then we will help you." 

She lifted her head and shook it, "I... can't... I can't..." 

But Carmelo nodded, "Yes, you can Calliope. We know you never meant us any harm. We realise that now. You were... just having some fun. Please help us Calliope, how do we destroy the Eagle?" he asked. 

"You can't. It is unbreakable... impenetrable. It's already too late," she stuttered as the crowd began to grow angry. The flash of light was becoming stronger and a loud rumbling sound could be heard coming from beneath their feet. 

"Then help us to defeat them," he added, standing looking down at her delicate features. "You are not one of them, Calliope. You're practically a woman. Those below are far from it. We don't want you dead. But they do. Help us defeat them." 

Standing up, they faced each other eye to eye and slowly she nodded. 

"But they are coming. We can't stop them from coming," she whispered before she turned to look at the faces in the crowd. 

"I am sorry. I never meant any of you any harm. I was just having some fun, at your expense I know, and I am sorry, truly sorry. I will help you. I just hope you can forgive me," she said. 

"We know, Calliope, we know. But now, we need to know... how do we defeat them?" 

As the shaft of light grew larger and brighter in the moonlit sky, the rumbling became almost deafening. Some members of the public held their hands tightly over their ears and looked around in fear as the flames that had previously only licked the sides of the columns now raged throughout the building's core and beyond, threatening to set the nearby forest alight. 

Gabriel, his family and friends gathered everyone together, leading the Powell River community away from the centre of the pyramid, away from immediate danger and prepared them for what could be their final fight. 

In the meantime, Carmelo and all the other vampires, paranormal beings and Michael stood beside Calliope, holding their breath as they waited for the Nephilim to come. 

Just in front of them, in a wide circle, stood about twenty witches, including December and Moira, chanting quietly, uttering a spell in the hope it would weaken the beasts upon their arrival.  

"Don't worry, darling," said a voice beside Lilly, "it'll be all right. We'll kick their butts." 

Lilly turned to look at the ghostly apparition that hovered beside her. Ruby was truly a beautiful woman with her fiery red hair and bright green eyes. She only wished she had known her when she was alive. 

A warm sensation filled her right hand as she looked down to find Ruby's own hand on top of hers. They smiled at one another sadly before a massive blast burst from the pyramid, causing such an immense force that they were all pushed high into the air before they plummeted to the ground with a thud. 

Scrambling to their feet, the witches were quick to return to their circle and resume their chanting as the others stood staring at the enormous crater just metres from their feet. Other than the softly spoken words of the witches circle there was silence. Carmelo edged forward before Calliope grabbed him, pulling him backwards. When he looked at her, she shook her head in horror. Seconds later, all hell broke loose as a number of huge beasts burst out of the crater, flying into the night sky before turning to face the crowd below. 

The people looked up, saw these terrifying beasts that resembled dragons, and began to flee in all directions. 

"No!" yelled Gabriel, "stay where you are." But it was no use, the beasts swooped down with such speed and agility, picking up straying people in their mouths, biting down before swallowing. Blood dripped from them as screams could be heard from all around. 

Michael stepped forward, held his arms outstretched and began to mutter something under his breath. The creatures suddenly appeared confused as they flew back and forth, up and down, crashing into each other. Dazed and dumbfounded, the creatures eventually landed on the ground one by one, but the final creature spotted Michael and just as it came crashing down to the ground, it managed to change its course. 

"Michael!" screamed Jo, watching in horror as the beast slammed head first into the man who promised to have been such an enormous help in defeating the Nephilim.  

As the creatures began to realise Michael was no longer confusing them, they flew back into the night sky and continued their savage attack on the helpless people below, causing screams of terror and agony to echo throughout the area. 

Suddenly the most beautiful sound began to fill the air. The voice of an angel singing stopped them in their tracks. Everyone came to a standstill as they turned to see where the music was coming from. The beasts followed, flying through the air until they reached the woman with the angelic voice. Slowly, they swooped down and landed before her. Calliope continued to sing, note after note, calming them with her soothing voice, until they closed their eyes and were soon drifting to sleep. 

"Now, Carmelo, now..." she yelled as the vampires stepped forward with huge stakes and plunged them deep into the hearts of the beasts before covering them with petrol and setting them alight. 

High pitched screeching filled the air as the creatures squirmed and twitched until they were completely still as the fire began to reduce their masses to nothing but dust. 

Cheers could be heard from all around as the people of Powell River came walking in, shouting and cheering, laughing.  

Except for Jo, who wandered aimlessly around searching for a body. A body that was nowhere to be seen. Michael had simply vanished.