Chapter 31

CHAPTER THIRTY -ONE

The small group had returned to Tabitha's car where they'd all climbed in, not saying a word. Zoltan quietly put the key into the ignition, had started the engine and reversed the car away from the pyramid before turning back towards Powell River. 

As they arrived back at the house, Carmelo and Jo stood waiting their arrival home. 

"Well?" Jo asked, "What happened?" 

"Wh...what do you mean? We just went for a drive," said Tabitha as everyone stood, shoulders slumped forward. 

"It's quite all right, you know. We are fully aware you went to Ben's. Presumably nothing happened or you wouldn't be back so soon," said Carmelo, patting Lilly on the back. 

Nobody said anything. 

"Crystal?" 

The beautiful young woman brushed her hand through her hair and looked up at her friend before bursting into tears. 

"There, there," he said, "Come, let's all go inside and you can tell us what you saw." 

It didn't take long for the group to explain what they'd witnessed, much to the shock of the rest of them. 

"It was a pyramid... like a real pyramid..." said Lilly before December continued, "and it was warm, when we touched it, it was warm." 

"And...?" said Jo. 

"All the men were there," added Zoltan. "And I mean, ALL of them. There were hundreds of cars just parked there, left in the middle of the road, doors open and then, when we walked around the corner..." 

December coughed, making everyone jump, "...and we saw the men, all of them." 

"Well spit it out, we're dying to know what's going on. Come on, do tell," said Ruby who was leaning in with her eyes open wide. 

December continued, "They were all, you know, erm, like," she chuckled awkwardly, "erm... semi-naked." 

"Did you say semi-naked?" said Ruby with a sly grin as the group all nodded at exactly the same time. 

"So who's going back?" she said, "Whoever it is, I'm coming with you!" she laughed but nobody laughed with her. "Well then, perhaps I'll go alone..." she said, hovering away out of the room. 

"Mother!" said Moira through gritted teeth as her ghost re-appeared, half out of the living room. 

"What?" 

"Oh... just go." 

Again, Ruby smiled and was gone. 

"What else did you see?" asked Gabriel. 

"It was like something out of a film," said Lilly awkwardly. 

"What do you mean, dear?" asked Rose. 

"Erm, the few clothes they were wearing were kind of like, erm, like something from Egypt, like from Cleopatra," she said with an uncomfortable chuckle. 

"This is so bizarre," said Millicent. 

"Bazar... yeh, Millie, yer right there. Is this common wiv them Sarens?" asked Kieran. 

"Unfortunately we don't know much about the Sirens, Kieran," answered Jo. "We're trying to track down a Siren expert at the moment but we're not having much luck." 

"Which is why we decided not to approach Calliope until we know more. After all, we don't know how dangerous she really is," said Carmelo with his eyebrows raised, looking across at the group that had gone out that morning.