CH26 - Getting Ready

After an hour rehearsing for their group performance, all contestants are now to have their solo session with their respective coaches

As Ruth's turn has finished, it was now Ellie's time to enter the music studio and face her coach alone. She entered the room and greeted her coach like normal. Coach Lea then advised her on things she would have to showcase and improve for the performance. 

But there were really nothing for El to improve. Sure, she might not be singing like a soprano and doesn't belt out songs like the other contestants; but in whatever song she sings, it is with absolute greatness and the song becomes a masterpiece of her own. 

Some feature articles have been even dubbing her as the local Sam Smith's  female version. But her coach wouldn't let her be stereotyped into singing only brokenhearted songs.

Since this is a taped segment for the show, El just followed Lea's instructions and did not brought up her wanting to quit the show. 

"Alright, so for this round the song I chose for you was actually one of my favorites. For a change you're not going to be singing a love song. Are you up for it?"

The young woman nodded in agreement with the Broadway star. The latter then handed her the music sheet. Ellie took a look at the title written on the top; Brave. 

"The reason why I gave you this song, is to show everyone that you're not into 'mapanakit' songs only." They both laughed.

"But knowing you, no matter how upbeat the lyrics are, you're just going to sing it in slow tempo I guess?" Lea teased her artist although she's not lying on that part.

Lea may indeed wanted El to sing a different genre, but she won't hinder the young artist to keep her style. And so she asked the young woman to show her what would be her take on the song.

You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
Or you can start speaking up
Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
And they settle 'neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes a shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

Everybody's been there, everybody's been stared down
By the enemy
Fallen for the fear and done some disappearing
Bow down to the mighty
Don't run, stop holding your tongue
Maybe there's a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

Innocence, your history of silence
Won't do you any good
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything but empty
Why don't you tell them the truth?

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
See you be brave

I just wanna see you

(Song title: Brave by Sara Bareilles)

Lea seems to be satisfied with how El sang the song. But her perfectionist self can't help but notice that there seems to be something off with her artist. She gave some instructions for slight variations she wanted El to do while performing.

"Now, the vocals are already good. We just need to make sure that you portray the right emotions intended by this song.

Try to lessen or avoid closing your eyes."

"Yes, coach." El replied as she try to keep in mind all the instructions her coach are giving to her.

"You know with this song, you're trying to convince your listeners. Diba,

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

So you have to sing it with conviction so they would do what you ask them of."

With Lea giving off a demo on how she would like El to sing the part, they once again started to rehearse the song from the top.

Performing the song second time around, Ellie was able to somehow follow her coach's direction.

"Alright that's better." Despite getting the result she wanted, Lea still can't shake the feeling that there's something wrong with El. She asked her protege if there's something bothering her, but the young woman just brushed it off.

As they finish their coaching session, El went out the room and called on Patrick who's supposed to be next.

She sat on one of the chairs placed on the backstage hallway as she try to relax. The whole studio was fully air-conditioned but she could feel the back of her neck sweating.

Joy, their TVP custodian noticed her gloomy look which the former finds unusual.

"Hey El, what's up? Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah. Just taking a quick rest before I go home."

Joy sat beside the promising talent as she noticed her pale face. She tried to feel El's temperature by touching her forehead.

"Hala! You're burning up! Would you like me to get you a nurse?" (Oh my!)

"No.. No. It's fine. It might be because my throat is feeling sore. I'll just have some rest once I get home."

"Are you sure?" Joy asked with concern.

"Yeah. Don't worry I'll be fine. Just a good sleep will do. Thanks."

Ellie then stood up and bade goodbye to the staff as she walked towards the studio's exit and went straight home.

But even with El's reassurance, it's not enough for Joy to have her worries be gone. She thought of telling about this to Lea as she is El's coach but that plan was halted as Joy is being called by one of her higher ups.

"Ahh. I'll just remember to tell it to coach Lea later on." Joy said to herself.