17: You Can Kiss My Ass Instead, George

Start bij het begin

"Well, I need you to make up for the time we spent sorting out your suits," Gerard explained, "I will be working late, too. It's only fair."

"Sir, I-" Frank stammered out, holding onto the papers tighter, "I can't. It's Tuesday."

"Oh?" Gerard frowned curiously, "And why is that?"

"You see," Frank started, "Tuesday night is date night for Ryan and I. We go out and we just, well, you know what going out on dates is like. Dinner and... Stuff."

"Every Tuesday?" Gerard queried, "And only Tuesday?"

Frank nodded weakly, realizing how pathetic his love-life was if his boss found it odd that they only went out as a couple once a week, every week. And he was torn; Frank could tell that Gerard was clearly bothered about the fact that he had said 'no' to him. He wanted to help Gerard because he was so new to the job, and he wanted to prove that he wasn't disposable, but at the same time, he didn't want to upset Ryan by ruining their routine on such short notice. He could just imagine how Ryan would be if he called him and told him that he wasn't going to be coming home until God knows when. But Gerard? He really did want to prove his worth to Mr. Way.

"Well," Frank started, catching Gerard's attention, but not making the disappointed look fall from his face, "Maybe I can stay for a bit..."

"A bit?" Gerard raised an eyebrow, still annoyed.

"I'll stay later tomorrow night. I promise, sir." Frank said, hoping to appease Gerard. He felt so guilty, and if he couldn't work tonight, then he would definitely stay behind tomorrow night.

"Well, I guess I can agree to that." Gerard nodded, still annoyed, but he cleared his throat, smiling at him. Frank could see that Mr. Way was bothered by his reluctance to help out when he actually needed him. Gerard had done him a big favor; the least Frank could do was return the gesture and not run off with his 'lover boy' because they had a thing that they did like clockwork every week.

"I'll get these filed away, sir," Frank spoke. If only Gerard could understand, then it would have been so much easier. Frank wouldn't have felt so bad for saying 'no' to him. He finally left the office, leaving Gerard to mull over and wonder where Frank's priorities really lay.

Hours later, Frank was knee-deep in answering emails. He had one earbud in his ear, humming to himself as he listened to Serj Tankian's solo album. He heard the soft alarm if the front door opening behind him and he paused 'Harakiri'.

"Hi, dear," Was Gerard's greeting that caught Frank off guard and made him turn in his chair to face the front of the building. He saw Gerard at the door, opening it for the woman Frank recognized as Lindsey. And she was way more attractive in person than Frank had realized. She was slender but not at all too skinny, her blonde hair up in a clip, her red lips perfect. And she had tattoos, something Frank had not at all expected. He looked at her three-quarter sleeve with envy, most of it on show, whatever else was hidden under a bright yellow blouse that was tucked into a very tight black leather skirt. Frank raised an eyebrow as they kissed chastely and Gerard took her bags for her.

"Frank." Gerard gave a head nod and the latter launched from his chair, coming to a stop in front of them. He smiled sheepishly, taking the bags from Gerard's hands, their fingers brushing had gooseflesh climb up Frank's arms.

"Is this him?" Lindsey smiled brightly at Frank, making him automatically smile back like it was contagious.

"Hi," Frank readjusted the bags and held out his hand, "Frank Iero."

"It's a pleasure, sweetie." She shook his hand, "I hope my husband hasn't been giving you a hard time."

"No more than necessary," Gerard interjected with a small wink in Frank's direction, making him recount back to that morning.

"I'll just..." Frank gestured with the bags before he turned and walked toward where he knew her office to be, opening the door with his elbow. He set the bags down and looked around at the black glass desk and the beige leather desk chair, the white cabinets built into the wall behind it all with a black shelf decked into the middle. Frank noted the photos of Gerard and her together and realized that there were none in his office, obviously a conscious choice. He looked at the weird long black bamboo separation in the back left corner before he shook himself out of his reverie.