The erratic hammering of his heart in his ears sent him off edge, stomach twisting as he desperately searched for the black haired girl of his past, almost desperate to see her to prove that his panic was sensible, but found no one.

She wasn't there, but she had to be, had to be.

"Are you okay?" Rin asked tentatively , concern filtering through her voice.

Rin's irises welled with worry as her eyebrows drew together, head tilted to the side as her eyes raked over her face, confusion written on her expression.

Eyes hesitantly twitching towards her, Chenle sucked in a shaky breath as he held her gaze, falling into the swirling chocolate that flowed through her irises.

Lips clamping together, the boy took a step backwards, retracting his arms from her as he fumbled back, eyes slightly widened.

"I-I have to go," Chenle stammered, before turning around and leaving Rin alone.

Chenle's stomach slithered with live snakes as he sped to his room, mindlessly leaving everyone in the living room as his brain refused to function.

Concern bleeding through Rin's eyes, she sighed harshly, and her feet moved before she could even think about following him, yet she dashed after him nevertheless.

Sliding into Chenle's room before he could close the door, the girl spun around as her eyes searched for him, finding him with his hand on the doorknob, eyes lingering on her.

He felt paralyzed, eyes locked with hers as he stood absentmindedly stared at her, and time itself seemed to halt- freezing them in the moment.

Chest rising and falling in an unsteady pace, the boy closed his eyes a moment to center himself, promptly closing the door with a moment's hesitance.

Eyebrows scrunched in worry, Rin watched as Chenle lazily slumped to the floor, and leaned silently against the wall beside his door. The girl glanced around her awkwardly, and she expelled a lucid breath from her chest, concern swirling within her.

Rin leisurely creeped towards her soulmate, and when he didn't object her approach, she reluctantly slumped down beside him, eyes not leaving his expressionless face for a second.

His shoulders were nearly to his ears as his entire body remained tense, watching his past idle through his brain like a movie, and, the longer he wallowed in his memories, the more certain he was that something horrid was to come.

It always did.

Rin was lost, but she knew one thing was true. Her soulmate, Zhong Chenle, was in pain, even if she didn't know why.

In an attempt to comfort the boy, she placed a hand on his forearm, but immediately retracted her touch when he flinched- eyes still glued to the floor in front of him.

A quite breath fell from her lips, and her mind fretted over him in worry as his sullen eyes continued to stare into oblivion- almost as if she didn't exist; a ghost.

"I'm sorry," He blurted suddenly, and the girl was slightly taken aback.

Eyebrows knitting together in confusion, the girl's plump, pink lips parted to respond, yet all sound hesitated.

"For what?" She cooed softly, eyes captivated by him.

A languid sigh could've been heard over the thunderous screams of his thoughts, and his head subtly raised as the back of his head met the wall- staring at the ceiling instead.

His black hair swept over his eyes, nearly obscuring them as his lips pressed together- attempting to organize his hopelessly scattered brain.

"You're affected by the mistakes I've made," He vaguely elaborated, yet she was still lost.

His dark, nearly black eyes were encased in a ominous shadow that always seemed to accompany him, tainting his ethereal irises with an enigmatic glint of oblivion hiding within the stormy sea in his orbs.

Her eyes opposed her casual reputation of insouciance, and were instead brimmed with worry, causing her to subtly, subconsciously lean towards her soulmate.

"What do you mean?" She almost whispered, and for the first time, he glanced towards her.

When their eyes met, she noticed the silver silhouette of tears threatening to spill from his eyes.