Chapter 15

Lydia stared at the woman in the mirror. She looked calm and so sure of herself, nothing like how she actually felt. Her chestnut hair was pulled up on the sides with mother of pearl combs, the rest hung in soft curls down her back. Her ice blue dress fit her perfectly accentuating her natural curves and brightened her slate blue eyes. It was a simple gown with fitted sleeves and white lace trim around her wrists. The only real decoration was a row of tiny pear buttons that ran from her neck, down her back to her waist. Her full skirt hung almost to the floor and you could just see her white kid boots peaking from underneath. Nervous hands smoothed imaginary wrinkles on her skirt.

"Oh, Lydia! You look so beautiful!" Ellie said wiping a tear from her eye.

"I agree, you look beautiful and the dress is perfect!" It was Hope's turn to wipe her eyes. Lydia was not her daughter and she had not known her very long, but she loved her, and she was as emotional as any mother is when their daughter gets married.

Levi walked to the bedroom door and knocked softly. "You look stunning." He said as she turned to face him.

"Really Uncle Levi?" She smiled nervously. "You don't think John is going to be disappointed when he sees me?"

Levi walked over to his niece giving her the encouraging hug that should have come from her father on her wedding day. "John's a lucky man and I can't see him ever being disappointed in you. You are incredibly beautiful on the inside and out, especially today." He kissed her forehead. "Now, are you ready?" He had been so honored when Lydia had asked him to give her away, even though he was the logical choice in the absence of her father.

She nodded as she plucked her white linen and lace handkerchief from the wrist of her dress, dabbed her eyes then replaced it. Any thoughts she'd had about John being disappointed in her were thrown out a few minutes later as her uncle walked her down the aisle. The look on John's face was priceless. It was a look of love and awe, and it only made her love him even more, if that were even possible.

"Congratulations!" Faith hugged first Lydia then John. "I'm so happy for the both of you!" She had missed her niece and could not be happier that she had not only moved to Red Valley but was marrying John. They were perfect for each other.

Cade hugged Lydia, "You make sure you tell me if he even gives you a cross look and I'll take care it." He said it in a joking way but they both knew he was serious.

"Uncle Cade!" Lydia had gotten to know the mysterious Cade Jacobs since she had been in Red Valley and had grown very fond of him. She had to admit, he could be rather intimidating but not as intimidating as Cole Weston.

"If you ever hurt her, I'll kill you." Cade said as he hugged John to congratulate him. He knew though, that John would never do anything to intentionally hurt his new bride. Any fool could see how much he loved her.

"I guess I'll have to officially find another partner now." Blake said as he patted his best friend on the back.

"You can always work out of the Red Valley office with me." John threw out one last time. He knew Blake wouldn't take it and that he was leaving in a couple of hours for his next assignment that would keep him away for a good six months, but he still had to make the offer. He just hoped Blake had not gotten Ellie with child. Unable to sleep the night before, he had gotten up to go for a walk and get some fresh air. While he was out, he had seen them run to the barn. They are damn lucky that nobody else saw them! What in the hell had he been thinking?

Blake had not said anything to him, but he knew why Blake had asked Levi to marry Ellie. What he didn't know is why he continued to be with her after she turned him down, especially knowing that he was leaving. Nope, this was his wedding day and he was not going to think about someone else's problems today. Today was all about his new wife. His wife! His eyes searched over the guests and immediately found her laughing as she spoke to Ellie. His heart squeezed with an emotion he did not know he was capable of feeling. God made someone so perfect for him, and he loved her so damn much!