Chapter 19

Never had two weeks gone by so fast! Ellie stood in her childhood bedroom looking at herself in the mirror. She pinched her cheeks and bit her lips trying to get a little color on her face. It just would not do to walk down the aisle looking pale and sickly. Her hair was pulled up in a loose updo allowing soft golden curls to frame her face. Her mother had given her pearl earrings that dangled just below her earlobe and combs for her hair to match. The dress she finally decided on was a navy-blue silk, trimmed in lace of the same hue.

The bodice and waist were fitted to just above her hips. The long full skirt was gathered midway on either side to form two soft swags as the back of the dress hung in folds. The full puffy sleeves tapered down to her elbows and were trimmed in navy blue lace. She opted to have the neck of the dress rounded, exposing her neck and the very top of her chest. The weather had been steadily getting warmer and she wasn't sure she could tolerate a high collar.

"Oh Ellie! You look so beautiful!" Hope stood at the door looking at her daughter. Where had the time gone? Was it not just yesterday that she and Ellie had made a huge mess in the kitchen with flour everywhere? Tears welled in Hope's eyes as years of memories burst forth reminding her that time had most definitely been speeding by.

"Thank you, Mama." Ellie's own eyes welled but not for the same reason. This was her wedding day and it should be the happiest day of her life, and yet, here she stood, heart broken about to marry someone she did not love.

Levi walked up behind his wife automatically placing his hand on the small of her back. "You look beautiful Ellie." He walked past Hope to his daughter and took her in his arms. "You know I love, and I would do anything for. You don't have to marry Kentwood, it's not too late." He whispered in her ear.

Ellie smiled. It was just like her Papa to say something like that. "I love you too Papa and yes, I know I don't have to marry Emmitt, but I want to."

Levi sighed. "You're sure?" Ellie nodded as her father looked down at her. "Okay then. I was sent up here to come and get you." He held out his arm for her to take as he escorted her down the stairs and out the front door.

She could not concentrate on what was being said. She kept glancing around, hoping that Blake would come and stop the wedding and take her away to be with him forever. But he didn't. She was finally able to bring her thoughts together enough to hear the preacher ask her to speak her vows. A chill ran down her spine as she repeated the words. She felt like someone was watching her, which was stupid. She was the bride, of course everyone was watching her, but this felt different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blake rode up from the back of the property and tied his horse to one of the posts in the barn, then climbed up the ladder to the hay loft. He watched as his childhood best friend and lover walked down the aisle to marry another man. He couldn't really hear what they were saying from the open loft door, but he didn't have to hear them, he could see them clearly. He watched as they held hands and exchange vows. He watched as Kentwood slid a ring onto her finger and then he watched as Kentwood kissed her lips. It did not matter how quick the kiss had been. All that mattered was that he would never be able to kiss her soft full lips again.

Blake reached up and rubbed the left side of his chest again. He felt the same pain he felt earlier when John told him Ellie was marrying Kentwood. He stood there for a few more minutes, then climbed down the ladder, got on his horse, and left the same way he came. She was not his Ellie anymore. He should be relieved actually, he was no longer her protector, that was someone else's job now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the day was a blur to Ellie. Her cheeks hurt from making herself smile all day long. She was incredibly relieved when Emmitt suggested they leave and head back to town. She had done her best to stay away from Lydia. Ellie had been terrified that her cousin would corner her, and she would break down and tell her everything. No, that just would not work. She would have to apologize to her later. Maybe one day her sweet cousin would forgive her.

Thankfully, the ride back to town was quiet. There was millions and millions of stars twinkling down from the velvety black sky. There was a quarter moon along with the carriage lamp giving them enough light to see but not enough light to detract from the stars. Crickets were chirping as a soft warm breeze brushed the curls from her face. One could say that the night was perfect, and under different circumstances, it probably would have been. The last time Ellie had seen this many stars, she had been laying in Blake's arms after he made love to her. Her hand automatically went to her stomach. It wouldn't be long, and her condition would be noticeable.

"Ellie dear." When she did not answer, Emmitt said her name again then laid his hand on her knee, feeling her jump. The soft amber light of the lamp made her look as if she were glowing, and for just a second, he felt a tiny twinge stir within his body. She was unbelievably beautiful. He almost felt guilty for marrying her, almost.

"I just want to assure you that everything is going to be alright. We get along well and we will have a good life together, you will see. I will be very good to you."

"I know Emmitt, I know." She tried to smile and not think about the rest of her life without Blake. Suddenly exhausted, she rested her head on his shoulder as she fought back tears. Emmitt brought her fingers to his lips, kissing them gently.

A shiver ran down Ellie's spine causing her to sit up straight again. She had the same feeling she did earlier during the ceremony, like someone was watching her intently. She glanced around but all she could see was shadows.

Emmitt felt her shutter then saw her look around. "Is there something wrong my dear?"

"I, no. I was just admiring the beautiful night." It had to be her heart and mind playing tricks on her. Maybe she should have just married Blake. Maybe she should have just taken what he offered. At least that way there would be the possibility of having more children. No, it did not matter anymore, it was too late to change her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blake strained to make out the figures in the carriage. Then he saw the tender exchange between them. Ellie laid her head on Kentwood's shoulder and he watched him kiss her fingers. It litterly felt like he had been kicked in the chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What are you thinking about?" Cole walked up behind his wife as she sat in her favorite rocker on the front porch. She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Grace jumped slightly then turned to look at her husband. Cole could clearly see the tears welling in her eyes. "What's wrong?" He already knew the answer to the question though.

He took her hand before she could answer and led her to their swing. He sat down, pulling her with him so that she was sitting beside him with her head on his chest as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"It's not right Cole. I have never seen a more unhappy bride. She looked so miserable! Why didn't Blake come and stop her? It was almost as if she was looking for him, waiting for him to come and take her away."

Cole sighed deeply. He wondered the same thing; except he knew his son had come but for whatever reason he chose to watch from the hay loft instead of fighting for the woman he loves. "I don't know. It doesn't matter now though. Ellie is married to Kentwood."

"I know, I just – I just always thought that it would be Blake she would marry."

A/N: Please don't forget to vote and comment.